
Originally Posted by
Cobalt Blue
I have been a member of the NSS-CDS for roughly 12 or 13 years, and have read the past 10+ pages of this thread with interest.
I personally believe the NSS is a very worthwhile organization. I know we want our underwater caves to be conserved, and as Kelly more than once has pointed out, the NSS is all about wet as well as dry caves...sounds like as cave divers, we need to be more proactive about showing the rest of the NSS, what it is that we do...I for one really like the paper magazine, and voted as such when that was in question for the UWS, mainly because I like to leave a copy laying around for others to see what it is I enjoy doing - not so easy if electronic. I have to say that the NSS magazine does not have much CDS content, which is out of sync with the 12% CDS membership within the NSS reported earlier in this thread...why shouldn’t we have roughly 12% CDS content in the NSS magazine? It would be great if there could be a CDS article in every issue...I expect this might make the NSS magazine worth reading to those CDS members that currently don’t find it worth while. One idea to build NSS content might be to write about our awards - Kelly mentioned that the NSS does not publish grotto specific awards in the member book, but that would not preclude writing an article on occasion to highlight those accomplishments - now anyone who reaches that level, and maybe a few of their friends might want a copy...ergo, they may even want to become NSS members? Just a thought.
Speaking of magazines...my personal experience with the CDS over the last roughly 12 years is inconsistent with my membership. I have had periods where I knew my membership was current, but I wasn’t receiving the magazine, and magazine receipt is the only way I know my membership is up to date...a few phone calls usually resolved this. To the several points in this thread...membership is important...what I have experienced is that it feels incredibly difficult to give my money to either organization. Seems there is an awful lot of focus on getting new members...but I have to ask, how much effort goes into keeping existing members? What I mean is...if my membership is about to expire, why not let me know and make it really EASY to give the NSS and CDS my money? A simple e-mail with a “click here to give us your money” would be great! Maybe I just don’t know the secret sauce on how to keep up with it?
Case in point, I just dove Cow a couple week so ago...and guess what, I wasn’t on the list and neither was my buddy. We both thought we were up to date, but apparently not. Interestingly, we both asked to pay on-site at Dive Outpost to renew both our NSS and CDS dues, but the combo NSS-CDS path was way too difficult, so we took the much easier local route and just paid the CDS only dues...maybe lack of attention to renewals and differences in renewal systems accounts for some of the numbers shifting around NSS versus CDS? My feeling was that the NSS dues so should have been just as easy to do at the dive shop as the CDS side...especially for a simple renewal.
To the incoming board...Please make it easy for me to know my membership status, and also make is easy to give BOTH organizations my money (whatever choice I might make)...please also ensure the mailing list for publications gets updated at the same time, as I really want others to see what we get to see and do, and this is the only current feedback I get that let’s me know the status of my membership.
Good luck and thanks to all former and future board members!
Bookmarks