Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default What caves does Normoxic open up?

    My wife and I will be taking Normoxic trimix soon (limits to 200ft by standards) and aren't sure we'll ever move onto hypoxic. I've been wondering about what cave normoxic alone will open up so I started looking around caveatlas and realizing that based on some of the simple profile maps, there's a lot that is beyond normoxic limits.

    Looking at profile maps obviously doesn't give the whole answer, so I thought I'd ask mroe specifics here. For example, Eagle's Nest is an option on normoxic, but looking at the profile as soon as you get to the Pit or the end of Randy's room you're hitting below normoxic limits from what I can tell. Looks like most of Diepolder's are beyond normoxic, and isn't Indian closed currently?

    So, I'd like to hear more specifics such as "you can dive diepolder, but beyond xx you're dipping into hypoxic ranges."


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Normoxic dives just off the top of my head:

    Indian, Emerald, Clearcut, Alachua, Eagles (ballroom), Lower OG, Hendleys Castle, Cathedral, Morgan, There’s a bunch of others are are permit sites or you’ve gotta know someone.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gainesville FL
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I thought Indian was closed for good. Am I mistaken? I would love to go.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Indian - not open
    Morgan - not open

    EN - Lockwood u dip to 230 (one ATA off the normox limits)
    EN - Entire ball room within limits

    Meeting House in Tally


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Diepolder - based on guiding rules, you need hypoxic regardless of where you want to visit in the cave


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    There’s a bunch of others are are permit sites or you’ve gotta know someone.
    Luckily my wife has access to many in the general tampa region that most don't know about because they're science permit only. I meant the "more touristy/popular."

    Alachua, Hendley's and lower og were on my list. I thought most of emerald was more hypoxic depths. Maybe I'm wrong


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHartmann View Post
    I thought Indian was closed for good. Am I mistaken? I would love to go.
    Nothing is constant except change. I’m sure it’ll eventually reopen.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Luckily my wife has access to many in the general tampa region that most don't know about because they're science permit only. I meant the "more touristy/popular."

    Alachua, Hendley's and lower og were on my list. I thought most of emerald was more hypoxic depths. Maybe I'm wrong
    Downstream Emerald is a good 18/45 dive. White, big, and awesome. Upstream is a bit deeper past the black abyss.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Trenton, FL & Aquidneck Island, RI
    Posts
    180

    Default

    +1 for Eagle's Nest ballroom, Indian, Emerald, Clear Cut and Meeting House but also Vortex, Harvey's Cave and Greyhound. Lots of Emerald is normoxic.

    Now if ya want to stretch out your cave diving regions, Cannonball Cave and Roubidoux Springs in Missouri have both normoxic and hypoxic areas while the Esperanza marble mine in Rutland, Vermont has normoxic sections.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Moultrie, Georgia
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    Vortex.

    Safe diving,

    Sandy Robinson


 

Similar Threads

  1. Muyil area caves officially open for diving
    By phillip1 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM
  2. What gets caves open
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
  3. normoxic or trimix
    By deepdiver4 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 11:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts