Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Panama City Florida
    Posts
    481

    Default

    I have used the Dive Optx and they won't stay put. I finally had a optical facility cut a lenses and glue it in with opitcally clear glue/epoxy.

    Without the help of the lenses I can read my buddies computer 6 feet away but not my own. It sure is tough turning 25.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New Jersey. Dreaming of Q. Roo.
    Posts
    158

    Default Lasik

    This might not be an option for all, but I elected to get Lasik after doing the open water follow the line drill for cavern class. I had been diving with contacts for a couple of years and had just had enough of not being able to open my eyes or worry about another piece of gear like a special mask.

    Just think about it. A little eye surgery and you elimate one more point of failure. Well, I got it done in Jan. and my buddy got it done in December and I am very happy with the results and I don't have to worry about special masks or lens now. I can now see the clock when I wake up in the morning. What a miracle.

    Just a thought, an expensive one but a thought none the less.

    Hans


  3. #13

    Default Re: Hear Hear

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B.
    LOL! Any of you guys wear contacts? I've been thinking of going that route for diving.
    yup i wear contacts all the time. and i just keep them in while diving.

    No Comment

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge
    I think what doron nof is looking for is a different thing entirely. What most dive companies offer in the way of prescription masks are minus diopters only, for nearsightedness. From three feet away and farther, my vision amazes friends and frightens small children. But anything closer than three feet away is a blur.

    I've seen marketed, in the backs of dive magazines, little round "bubbles" that you stick on your lenses for up-close reading. But I've never talked to anyone that used them and were satisfied. The few people that had used them said they wouldn't stay stuck.

    I, too, would like to find a product that works. Is that two minutes of deco, or twenty?
    I have the same problem Sludge, can't focus on anything within arms reach anymore but can still count the hairs on a tick's arse a mile away. I tried the guage readers as well as the stick-in lens inserts (the ground guage readers did work much better for me as like most the stick-ins did not stay in place and had a bad habit of fogging up.) I finally broke down and had lens for my mask ground to my prescription; this worked so well that I had a second mask made so I would have a back-up. Cost was roughly $100 and well worth it being able to see my guages without going through all the contortions. My last mask I went ahead and had my bifocal script ground in and it wears better than my regualr glasses.

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    78

    Default

    I wear soft contact lenses every dive. During the mask off swim for cavern, the guy in front of me wouldn't move, and I had my eyes open for ten minutes. I didnt loose 'em! I've taken off my mask and opened my eyes back at thirds with complete confidence.

    Now I've never tried it in saltwater; there you have a salinity gradient going the other way across a permeable membrane. That sure sounds good, but I dont know. the salt might cause them to curve out and float away.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Panama City Florida
    Posts
    481

    Default

    I like the idea of the LASIK but not sure of the effects at altitude. When I can no longer cave dive I am headed for a try at mountaineering. I recall one of the Everest expedition teams that had multiple fatalities had one survivor who stayed just above base camp 4 that had corrective surgery and could not see.


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,842

    Default Re: Reading Glasses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Roop
    I have the same problem. I recently puchased a mask that has magnification on the lower portion of the lense. I cannot say which company makes it but they work much better than inserts. But even with
    all that magnification I still have problems reading in low light conditions.

    Many dive computer manufacturers should consider making models with
    larger font!!!!!!!!!!

    http://www.rxdivemask.com/

    http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

    http://www.babylonvillage.com/rx_diving_mask.htm

    FYI-!

    j.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Swanton Oh.
    Age
    76
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I bought a glass magnifier in a shop on the north side of Gainsville (L. B's) you have to glue it in I have had it in for a year and a half, and am very happy with it.

    Jack



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts