Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Bottom timer

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Nah, not enough sunlight down there, I only use that one on the surface
    You must have lost the instructions for use in a cave. You have to orient yourself with the dial facing north. Then, you approximate the angle of the sun at your given latitude, and the angle of the sun at noon on the solstice, just shine your light on the dial from this position, and viola, you have a well illuminated forearm.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA
    Posts
    44

    Default

    I use two computers in caves as well--one on each arm. The choice of the two was more about where I was with my experience when I purchased them. The first is a Suunto EON Steel and the other is a Perdix. I've set the Perdix (40/85) to be pretty close to the EON Steel (middle conservatism) and they definately use different algorithms. So, I just use the most conservative one, which has worked out well so far without feeling too much penalty by waiting to clear both, but I don't generally go into much deco.

    Even though I love both computers I use, if I were looking for a new one now, I'd seriously consider the ScubaPro G2.

    BTW, Have fun on the Avalon, Richard!

    Joe


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    75
    Posts
    679

    Default Bottom timer

    Use a Citizen ecodrive promaster to backup my shearwater perdix.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    You must have lost the instructions for use in a cave. You have to orient yourself with the dial facing north. Then, you approximate the angle of the sun at your given latitude, and the angle of the sun at noon on the solstice, just shine your light on the dial from this position, and viola, you have a well illuminated forearm.
    No, I didn't loose them. Stone tablets are just too heavy to take diving...

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    377

    Default

    I'm amazed to hear that an Uwatec died. I've been using mine since 95 without a battery change. Has to be the best piece of dive gear I ever bought.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavekrazi View Post
    I'm amazed to hear that an Uwatec died. I've been using mine since 95 without a battery change. Has to be the best piece of dive gear I ever bought.
    I felt the same way about mine. I got it used about 15 years ago, so I have no idea how old it was.


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    I still have one that works as well. No clue how old it is. On a separate note, I think it's cool how Forrest is helping out fellow divers so often. I got a reel off of him for less money than I could have ever imagined this week and really appreciate it. Just thought it was really cool to read of another instance... mine wasn't even public til now. He PMed me because he knew I was having problems with mine. Kudos, FW


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Nah, not enough sunlight down there, I only use that one on the surface
    That's what your buddy's light is for....

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Posts
    7

    Default Older model

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    I thought that this was Forrest's bottom timer.

    I have the older model of that.. without the fancy compass!


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    90

    Default

    I have an older version of the Uwatec digital bottom timer (max depth, no average) on a bungee mount.

    Unsure the age but just dove it for a week in Cozumel with no issues. Would sell it if anyone is looking.



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Bottom Timer
    By lord1234 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 07:21 PM
  2. WTB bottom timer
    By sem824 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 07:30 PM
  3. Bottom Timer
    By BillBowden in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts