Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74
  1. #1
    Time Out User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    55

    Default Photos in the Gainesville Sun of Cave Diving Photography

    http://www.gainesville.com/photogall...7/PH/1?start=2

    I'm usually always for positive press regarding cave diving but this is pretty embarrassing. I've never done a photo dive but I find it hard to believe that it's common practice for the photographer to be laying on the bottom. Surely this isn't how Kirill, Becky and Jill take their photos.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default Professional

    Its probably a lack of understanding on your part due to your ignorance on photo shoots.

    Plus, he's a professional.

    Bob


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    82

    Default

    I doubt the average Gainesville Sun reader would care.

    Nice to see some positive mainstream exposure rather than another article on a fatality or the sport's dangers.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Nice pictures. Any idea how many strobes they used to light the cavern and if they used remotely fired strobes or not?

    Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

    Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    Nice pictures. Any idea how many strobes they used to light the cavern and if they used remotely fired strobes or not?

    Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    Lmao... bahahahaha

    If I had to guess, a little more than a dozen. But I'm no photographer. I've been known to pack a gopro here and there...


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    No one is going to criticize well known photographers or mention wess's damage while taking pictures.

    The response you'll get is "Nothing to see here, all these people are super nice and anyone criticizing doesn't know about shutter speeds and how stable everything has to be"...or there's the other argument that damage is "worth it" to show the environment to the public so they'll care.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Or maybe you'll get "It's just the Ballroom."


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Age
    59
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
    http://www.gainesville.com/photogall...7/PH/1?start=2

    I'm usually always for positive press regarding cave diving but this is pretty embarrassing. I've never done a photo dive but I find it hard to believe that it's common practice for the photographer to be laying on the bottom. Surely this isn't how Kirill, Becky and Jill take their photos.
    You did mention that you have no experience on a shoot. The last one I was on we were in the water for 3 hours and never made it past the lips. I carried in 30 pounds of gear on top of my full cave configuration. When we finished I was exhausted and I was only a support/safety diver. For the photographer('s) they have to adjust their camera, direct the models, check and adjust lighting, and keep themselves steady so they can shoot in high shutter speeds with tight F stops to achieve crisp clean photos. I've worked with a lot of photographers over the years and both of these shooters did no more than any other I have worked with in the past. The cool thing is that they showed the behind the scenes shots to give others an idea of what it takes to get those fancy shots.

    Bobby

    The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

    Local Zip Code Diver

  9. #9
    Time Out User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    55

    Default

    So uw light dude is endorsing laying in the silt to take photos?


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    142

    Default

    There is ZERO silt in the Ballroom, keep it in perspective.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Gainesville Sun Get's it Wrong
    By Dwain in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 04:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts