Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
    Eagle's Nest is the focus of this (?investigative?) report..

    https://mobile.twitter.com/FCN2go/st...166080/video/1
    Man, we owe a huge thanks to the KUR guys. It takes a huge amount of patience and work to get the message out and work with news stations. Thanks Andy, Brent, Matt and whoever else put work into this!

    Also, I have to say it's really refreshing to see the Sheriff say the things he said. Whoever spent the time to work with the Hernando County Sheriff really deserves some recognition. Cave Divers alone have a small voice, but with public officials like this we have a respected and large voice.

    Thanks guys for the work you do. Oh, and you do some nice exploration work too.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Citrus County, FL
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post
    Man, we owe a huge thanks to the KUR guys. It takes a huge amount of patience and work to get the message out and work with news stations. Thanks Andy, Brent, Matt and whoever else put work into this!

    Also, I have to say it's really refreshing to see the Sheriff say the things he said. Whoever spent the time to work with the Hernando County Sheriff really deserves some recognition. Cave Divers alone have a small voice, but with public officials like this we have a respected and large voice.

    Thanks guys for the work you do. Oh, and you do some nice exploration work too.
    Well said!


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    For those living outside of Jacksonville:

    https://www.google.com/amp/www.first...?client=safari

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    563

    Default

    My post replicated here. Looks like there are dual threads going on.

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Thursday at 11pm, a Jacksonville news station will be talking about 11 deaths in a certain FL. spring. Reporter is Anne Schindler. Station is WTLV-TV Channel 12 or 47. Another member heard the teaser, but doesn't know anything else.

    Not many caves have had that many, especially recent enough for it to be news.
    Well, I guess it (the article) was OK. I'm always a bit nervous when the media emphasizes the "deadly" nature of cave diving. I know they do it for ratings, etc. But it's always scary as to how the public will react. At least we had Andy and Brett to represent us. They got it right! But it's just so much more complex a thing than what the article portrays (i.e. the causes for incidents/fatalities). But I guess you'd need an "informercial" to explain that.

    Good job Andy and Brett!


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    southeast of disorder
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I saw the teaser the other night which included footage of Eagles Nest. As a warning, the reporter is an infamous former employee of our local alternative newspaper; it will certainly not be an objective story. I hope I am proven wrong.
    I am eating words this morning and very pleased I was wrong. Great job by Brett, Andy, and the rest of the KUR guys. As someone else said, it was surprising to see local law enforcement demonstrating a strong opinion in favor of keeping it open. Kudos to all.

    "Cave diving is for grown ups. Make grown up decisions."
    -AJ

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Destin,Fl
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I was worried about this... but not bad at all. Big thanks to Brett, Andy and the TV lady .


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Wow,

    I just watched this and was floored. These guys deserve a great big Kudos. That was the absolute best thing that could have been done for this sport. I think it was more effective than any letter you could possibly write to a politician. When the public understands cave diving is dangerous, they won't be standing at the door with pitchforks when something does happen.

    Awesome job guys.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Crosby, TX
    Posts
    364

    Default

    There are one or two small and technical nits that could be picked in the written article, but my own judgment would be to say it's awesome. It's well written and it's obvious they put effort into getting correct details presented in a way that would be interesting to general readership. It's way above and beyond any kind of sensationalized click-bait type mess that some might have feared. Respect to the news team--



 

Similar Threads

  1. Big cave diving anthropology story in the news
    By PsychDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 08:43 AM
  2. cave story on TV
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 04:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts