Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Results 81 to 83 of 83
  1. #81

    Default

    As far as rituals/superstitions/talismans, I think that land-based diving provides a little wider leeway for a "reset" if you are of the superstitious nature. Three things break? Fix them and start all over like it was a new day. If you think that it makes a difference, and I'm okay with that, don't dive. Self-fulfilling prophecies can happen... or you just spend the dive wondering what's going to happen. You can get fixated on it. That makes for a sub-optimal dive in many respects. No sense doing this if you are uncomfortable. I tell anyone I'm diving with that they can cancel for any reason.

    Boat diving, on the other hand, is more on a clock a lot of the time. Things start to go bad and you start to rush to fix them. Then things can go wonky. Same rules apply though... cancel as you want, I won't mind. Crap happens.


  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmalinowski View Post
    Do you just assume this since it would be inside the bourdon tube? Not a bad assumption at all, just wondering. And a rice bath should take care of that as OFF-1 states. As far as the rest goes, assuming you use the reg during the dive, it will blow enough dry gas through the regs to dry out anything where the small bit of water got in. Just my opinion, I have not scientifically proven this... although I have anecdotally
    Dunno. I guess I figure if there's visible water in the spg it's probably on it's way to corrosion-ville and I just toss it. Hardly ever happens though. I can't even remember the last time one got water in it.


  3. #83
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmalinowski View Post
    As far as rituals/superstitions/talismans, I think that land-based diving provides a little wider leeway for a "reset" if you are of the superstitious nature. Three things break? Fix them and start all over like it was a new day. If you think that it makes a difference, and I'm okay with that, don't dive. Self-fulfilling prophecies can happen... or you just spend the dive wondering what's going to happen. You can get fixated on it. That makes for a sub-optimal dive in many respects. No sense doing this if you are uncomfortable. I tell anyone I'm diving with that they can cancel for any reason.

    Boat diving, on the other hand, is more on a clock a lot of the time. Things start to go bad and you start to rush to fix them. Then things can go wonky. Same rules apply though... cancel as you want, I won't mind. Crap happens.
    Well not only on boats but at other dive sites as well i am not a fan of having bananas anywhere in the vicinity of my dives. Bill

    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts