Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 83
  1. #41
    Time Out User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    South Santa Monica Bay, Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    53

    Default



  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevrumbo View Post


    This is awesome. Thank you for posting it.


  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default errors

    Quote Originally Posted by tursiops View Post
    Last time I got my tanks hydroed/VIPed I marked them beforehand as to where the cam band was and where the lower clip was. I realized I might have to adjust the lower clip to allow for the valves not being reinserted to the same orientation. What I did NOT notice was the L/R valves had been reversed, so my left hose-clamp and clip were now on the right tank, and vice versa. This meant the handles were facing the wrong way if the regs were on as I usually put them on, or the regs were facing the other way if the handles were right. As usual, we got to Ginnie kind of delayed after a 12h drive, and rigged everything quickly and got in the water. In the water, I realized the problem, so got out and fixed it while my buddy went off and did a shore dive on his own. So, I called my dive.

    My question is, how many errors did I have so I can compare to the magic three? Was it (a) one error, i.e. the valves reversed, or (b) two errors, since both valves were reversed, or (c) or four errors since I did not notice the problem on either side, or (d) five errors because I got in the water with everything screwed up, or even (e) six errors because I was at Ginnie on a 3-day weekend?
    You made no errors, you called the dive.


  4. #44

    Default

    I have to wear red next to my skin when caving/climbing/cave diving. More red is safer.

    No red next to skin, I always get hurt (anecdotally proven to be 100% true).

    I hate red as well


  5. #45

    Default

    No magic to the three strikes you're out rule. For me, that almost never happens so if I have three issues it means I probably did not properly do my due diligence so I don't do the dive. Instead I go back to the bench, truck or whatever and tear everything down and start from scratch. Then I go dive.

    Last edited by JoeyP; 01-31-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    if three gear issues canceled my dives nothing would ever get done. if you put enough gear in the water sometimes some of it is going to break.
    if a rew gear issues rattle you mentally, then yea, cancel your cave dive. that seems prudent


  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    if three gear issues canceled my dives nothing would ever get done. if you put enough gear in the water sometimes some of it is going to break.
    if a rew gear issues rattle you mentally, then yea, cancel your cave dive. that seems prudent
    If you have three gear failures before a dive, you should call it. If for no other reason, three gear failures indicates poor gear maintenance.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    If you have three gear failures before a dive, you should call it. If for no other reason, three gear failures indicates poor gear maintenance.
    Or there's a metric #### tonne of gear.

    As amount of gear increases, the probability of encountering a problem also increases.


  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    If you have three gear failures before a dive, you should call it. If for no other reason, three gear failures indicates poor gear maintenance.
    Yea ok I'll get right on that. Send support home. Cancel the dive. We had some bad o rings.


  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pike Road, AL
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I silently pray to the cave gods before each dive...and go commando under my drysuit undergarments...



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts