I had one dive, in particular, where MANY things went wrong while kitting up. Then I had a BEAUTIFUL dive. Super nice.
The only time I've had a series of clusters, I was already at the entrance on the way out.
I can't think of anything I'm superstition about. Hell, I even dove Ron Simmon's tanks.What did that guy call them?
And Ian Rolland's rebreather. I'm still alive to tell the tale.
I try and be logical and not stupid. That's about it.
Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!
The most important scuba trinket is a mixture of white and grey matter that is encased in the cranium. When someone is very distracted and has lost focus then accidents can and will happen. For example, incidents where people have breathed off the wrong gas mix because they are dealing with multiple problems that have occurred. Wet rocks, are wet rocks and will be there tomorrow. If enough has gone wrong, eg 3 things, then perhaps enough mental acuity has been lost to facilitate an incident.
"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick
But not two or one.
I think it's bad practice to suggest some sort of a threshold based on an abritraty number. One failure might be enough for some people, but this teaching of three (which I've heard a bajillion times) can instill confidence (or doubt) where it shouldn't be.
you don't need Superstitions Rituals or Talismans when you hear voices
Www.artflowslikewater.com
Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."
The more things that I notice have gone wrong on the surface, the fewer things I will have go wrong in the water since I will have already addressed the issues. If I have more than a few things that I catch it might make me slow down and go through everything again to be sure I am all set so in a way- if 3 things go wrong, I might be safer than if "nothing" went wrong (until I was in the water).
I have had days where I woke up at the ass crack of dawn and was half asleep when packing my kit. When I get to the dive site I could call either call it for having multiple issues or I can say "wow, what was I thinking?" and address the problems as they arise and use the event as a reminder to slow down and double check everything.
One thing I do is meditate while waiting on my buddy. Breath in for 3 seconds and out for 8. Repeat and think of nothing but the cool air as it comes in and the warm air as it exits. This relieves stress so I don't strangle my buddy when he tells me he forgot something in the car and needs me to doff my gear to get the key for him and it lowers my sac rate. Win-win.
some of my best dives have been the ones i was tempted to call on the way to the dive site. Then as i surfaced, i think to myself, damn didnt i ever need this.
then other days, I wake up at 4PM and think, hey we are late to go scooter little river...then realize i am still drunk and pass out again..
I text Ted and Travis while I'm at the Racetrack taking care of business.
Ken Sallot
Bookmarks