Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 83
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrwhy01 View Post
    I was just going to post something similar. Another one that I go by is "if you think you should call the dive then you already should have."

    Finally, I'm very reluctant to touch dive gear that I find on the bottom. Some years ago I was diving in Tobermory, Canada on the wreck of the Arabia. Descending down the line we were blessed with surprisingly good visibility for Lake Huron. Anyway I began to notice a lot of gear that was strewn along the bottom, fins, a mask, BC with tank and regs attached. I thought someone might have lost it overboard in rough seas so I told myself that I'd collect it on the way back. As luck would have it another diver beat me to it.

    What we found out when we surfaced was that a diver had drowned at the sight the previous day and that gear was his. Apparently during his struggle to surface he began to doff his gear. It didn't help and he drowned.

    Why my reluctance? The diver who retrieved the gear started have a lot of problems with his gear the rest of that trip. Maybe it was coincidence but personally I think it was bad juju.

    That must have been before the zebra mussels. Toby always has great viz. The arabia is also a site i've recovered some gear in one dive (dove it too many times, so i decided to explore. Recovered a mask, snorkel, an overweighted weight belt, and a AL60 w/ regulator attached...still pressurized from being under ~2 years. That was a fun dive (unlike the previous one where i lost sight of the wreck)


  2. #12

    Default

    Three things go wrong before or during a dive, thumb goes up. Doesn't have to be gear issues. The problems I worry about most are mistakes I make, even little ones. Too many of those is probably a sign the most important piece of gear -- my brain -- isn't fully in the game that day.

    Sometimes nothing has gone wrong, but for whatever reason I get THAT feeling. Dive gets called. I've even called one after gearing up, about to walk to the water. Ding! Something says, maybe you shouldn't do this today. Got out of gear, reloaded car, figured out what to do the rest of the day. Never regretted calling one.

    OK, Jill, your turn: What superstitions, rituals, and talismans do you have?

    - Sid


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lake City,FL
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36 View Post
    I just called a dive this morning that I drove over 4 hours to get to, did a prep/checkout dive yesterday, spent the night, got an early start at the site. The only reason was because I just was not feeling the desire to do it.
    DITTO
    Any 3 problems just prior or during the dive and its I am out of here.
    Gabe


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Why 3 and not 2 or 4?


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Why 3 and not 2 or 4?
    Because 3 is a magic number.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4pyiB-kq0


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    branford
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Do not, under any circumstances, pick up any found $$ before a cave dive.

    Joel


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    75

    Default

    If I forget any major piece of dive gear, like drysuit, fins, regs, mask or tanks, then I call the dive..usually.
    I'm just superstitious that way... If I forget two or more of the above, then the dive is definitely over... mostly...

    Larry

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    I too follow the 3 strikes and I'm out rule. I almost broke it recently, and was glad I chose to keep it. Thankfully no incident occurred, but I felt much better.


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    If I forget my tanks, regs, or BC, I go ahead and call it.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mount Holly, NC
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCoffee View Post
    If I forget any major piece of dive gear, like drysuit, fins, regs, mask or tanks, then I call the dive..usually.
    I'm just superstitious that way... If I forget two or more of the above, then the dive is definitely over... mostly...
    kinda hard to dive without any of the pieces you listed.

    "...some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy." John T. Cunningham


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts