Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    High Springs, Florida
    Posts
    103

    Default Superstitions, Rituals and Talismans

    After an interesting conversation over a few beers, I'm curious... do any of you have any dive superstitions, rituals or carry a good luck items while diving? I know a few people who have the "three gear failures prior to the dive and they skip the dive" philosophy. Frank Martz used to use only blue gear. Any stories out there?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default

    3 failures or problems before going under calls my dive. At 70 it has worked so far. LOL


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Lake City, Florida
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shellmoundal View Post
    3 failures or problems before going under calls my dive. At 70 it has worked so far. LOL

    I was just going to post something similar. Another one that I go by is "if you think you should call the dive then you already should have."

    Finally, I'm very reluctant to touch dive gear that I find on the bottom. Some years ago I was diving in Tobermory, Canada on the wreck of the Arabia. Descending down the line we were blessed with surprisingly good visibility for Lake Huron. Anyway I began to notice a lot of gear that was strewn along the bottom, fins, a mask, BC with tank and regs attached. I thought someone might have lost it overboard in rough seas so I told myself that I'd collect it on the way back. As luck would have it another diver beat me to it.

    What we found out when we surfaced was that a diver had drowned at the sight the previous day and that gear was his. Apparently during his struggle to surface he began to doff his gear. It didn't help and he drowned.

    Why my reluctance? The diver who retrieved the gear started have a lot of problems with his gear the rest of that trip. Maybe it was coincidence but personally I think it was bad juju.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    High Springs,Fl.
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Oh Jill, Jill,Jill,

    You had to ask, didn't you? Before every dive, I mix a bit of rhino horn, tiger penis, and bat wing into coconut oil and brush the concoction liberally, but gently, on my testicles while watching midget wrestling reruns and singing an ancient Navajo bedtime lullaby.
    In addition, I will call dives if it's: a weekend, too cold, too hot, too early, too late, raining, no place to park at Turkey Roost, too many Russians, Brazilians, or Canadians on site (cuz they talk funny and it scares me), or calling for rain and there is a female cold slaw wrestling event within a two hundred mile radius (this is rare).

    " My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    3 failures and we're done for us.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    The one time I failed to count all three failures, someone died.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snakedoc View Post
    ... female cold slaw wrestling event within a two hundred mile radius (this is rare).
    Hahahaha, I never cease to learn new stuff on here. I googled female cold slaw wrestling, and what do you know, that's actually a thing.


  8. #8

    Default

    I just called a dive this morning that I drove over 4 hours to get to, did a prep/checkout dive yesterday, spent the night, got an early start at the site. The only reason was because I just was not feeling the desire to do it.

    No naked pictures, just dive stuff. Click Here

  9. #9

    Default

    I think we all should listen to our inner-voice/intuition, (which women seem to have more than men).
    Some of us are tuned in to this while others aren't and/or ignore it. My experience in life has shown me that it is important and not to be blown off.
    As hopefully all of us were taught; call any dive at any time for any reason and that is the way it should be.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    3 regular "oh shyte's" or 1 major "oh shyte" (such as a small oxygen fire-yes, a small one...) is my rule...has worked so far...

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    PS My favorite color is blue, but I am not obsessive about it.....

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts