Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Guy, is that a old Farallon snorkel?
    YES! You are very perceptive, it is an old Farallon snorkel.

    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Boutilier View Post
    Is it O2 clean?
    Of course it's O2 cleaned. You never know what kind of gas you may be rebreathing in those air pockets...

    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    It worked a lot better for 5' hoses than 7' hoses
    Quite right Forrest, which is why I always used 7' hoses. It quickly became apparent to us that if you were sharing air, single file through a restriction with zero vis that 5ft wasn't always quite enough length. The 7 ft was much better.

    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Bryant View Post
    Glad you noticed! That dandy piece of equipment was made by myself in 1976. I took an open water plastic knife "leg sheath" and cut it off so that I had the bottom end. I then cut slots into it to run pieces of inner tube bands through it for easy slide on and off the arm. To reinforce it, I wrapped it in duct tape, which has been replaced several times over the years, especially since plastic tends to crack as it ages. I then took a stainless steel kitchen knife and placed it into my handy dandy sheath. In the event the knife were to fall out of the sheath, it is attached by an appropriate length of twisted nylon. This has come in handy a few times. Especially, when cutting line after having to explore virgin passage. Sometimes you get so excited you can drop your knife. Thank goodness the attached nylon line was there to prevent the loss of my bright and shiny stainless steel knife.
    Was that before or after Paul Smith was making arm sheaths for kitchen knives? I have been using my own copy of a Paul Smith sheath since the late '70s.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Was that before or after Paul Smith was making arm sheaths for kitchen knives? I have been using my own copy of a Paul Smith sheath since the late '70s.
    I'm not sure as I don't know when Paul Smith started making sheaths for kitchen knives? Some things just last and last. For example, I'm still using the wings that Court Smith and I made in 1976 from inner tube and plastic pipe plumbing. Just armour-all it every 6 months and it will last and last. It's on its 3rd cover, but this latest one is durable. Steve Shaw made it for me in the 90's out of heavy duty tent canvas that he uses to make tents at his company.

    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

  6. #26

    Default

    This was a lot of fun to do Guy and thanks for asking me to help out. I'm loving the trip down cave diving equipment history lane here too!


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Bryant View Post
    I'm not sure as I don't know when Paul Smith started making sheaths for kitchen knives? Some things just last and last. For example, I'm still using the wings that Court Smith and I made in 1976 from inner tube and plastic pipe plumbing. Just armour-all it every 6 months and it will last and last. It's on its 3rd cover, but this latest one is durable. Steve Shaw made it for me in the 90's out of heavy duty tent canvas that he uses to make tents at his company.
    Ah, Court Smith. My first (good) light was a copy of his lights. He also inspired the "Wilson" reel.

    The first arm knife I saw, was one Paul had made for Sheck.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Bryant View Post
    Attachment 16218 Guy Bryant demonstrating the proper use of the cave snorkel as photographed by Gene Page. This piece of life saving equipment can be handy in an out of air situation...just use it to retrace your dive back to the surface by breathing from air pockets on the cave ceiling.
    make a good front page for the forum TJ !

    Jack Evans


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts