Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    What's the story with the swimming deceased crewman? Love to hear more about that.
    Not sure how credible the story is...

    http://weekinweird.com/2016/11/27/ol...rpse-kamloops/

    Maybe RGU would know??


  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I do cavedives as well wreckdives. I am full cave certified, I have a northsea wreck diver cert which means do penetrations if you want, but nothing is teached about it. Have done wreckdives over 330ft, but most are in the 60-80ft region as that is where I live.
    Drop decocylinders I normally don't on wreckdives. I have done this on a wreckdive in Malta because we wanted to penetrate a narrow part. On other wreckdives I took all gases with me.
    On the Northsea I always run a line from naer the anchorline (never attach on the anchorline on the wreck, the anchorline is in this cases on the wreck, not nearby the wreck). This reason is the bad viz most times and you want to find the anchorline back. Another reason is that I have been almost died years ago because I did not run a line with my buddy due to grouppressure that lines where not good, etc. And then we swam into the wreck without noticing. I had to save my buddy as he run out of gas and happely we find the exit. The choice to let him die was in that case a good choice too (bet only 1 dead diver than 2), but afterwards I am happy I shared my limited gas and that we found the exit of the wreck. Otherwise I don't know if I was still diving.
    Then the length of the line. I have a small reel of 60m, that is most times more than enough for wreckpenetration and running over the wreck. The wrecks in the Northsea are most times not that big. Most times I use just a 45m spool.
    On wrecks with more viz I do not run a line from the anchor line, but just run a line as I do a penetration. On the Viz wreck in Croatia we found a skeleton deep in the wreck. At the divecenter nobody knew from a skeleton there.
    Wrecks are most times graves too. Wrecks have a history. Some wreckdivers are interested more in the history than in diving the wreck itself. I like the fish on the wrecks too, so not always a penetration is needed.
    But I like the fish in the rivers near the caves too.
    Wrecks have one big disadvantage: you have to deal with waves. I have been 2 times extremely seasick, haha. Yes I could dive, but that was not nice anymore.
    The timewindow on the northsea because of tides and current is most times short. In Malta or Croatia you can make longer bottomtimes.


  3. #33

    Default

    RGU and I dove the Kamloops a few years ago. No ghosts following us, but whitey is still there.


  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    What's the story with the swimming deceased crewman? Love to hear more about that.
    Why? Do you want to do a movie about it

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Why? Do you want to do a movie about it
    maybe...but I just like ghost stories.


  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    maybe...but I just like ghost stories.
    Do you know about the Ghost of Telford?

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Do you know about the Ghost of Telford?
    Lets hear it? I find telford very enjoyable but very creepy at a few points. Its like watching a scary movie. You like it but dont at the same time


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  8. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Lets hear it? I find telford very enjoyable but very creepy at a few points. Its like watching a scary movie. You like it but dont at the same time


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should ask Jersey Jersey about her uneasy feeling in Telford. She says there is a monster in there.

    I will try to find a link the the Telford Ghost story.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    OK, I found it. I was going to post a link, but it was post #56 in a seven page thread.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This is a four part story. My version is first, Sheck Exley's is second, an update to the first part, then the "current" version.

    Part 1
    I came down to Florida to dive with Sheck Exley in August 1976. We did a short night dive at Peacock, then went over to Telford. The parking was full of sheriff's cars, and surrounded with crime scene tape. We pulled up to the tape, and a deputy stuck a flashlight in Sheck's face, and said "Oh, it is you, where is your buddy?" He pointed to me, and we drove up to the spring. When we were away from the deputy, I asked "Uh, what is going on?" Sheck said there had been a report of a missing diver, and they had already made 10 dives looking for him. He had promised to come back after the silt settled, and make one more.

    Sheck told me that the sheriff was very buddy oriented, and asked me to gear up, and wait inside the entrance. I said that if I was going to gear up, I was going to dive. I had already pulled guys out of quarries, and a "dry" cave.

    Once we got inside, we were swimming slowly, looking in all the nooks for a body. I noticed one of Sheck's backup lights was on, so I grabbed his fin and pointed at the light. He jerked around, like he was startled, and gave me the universal "I don't care about the light" hand signal. We went all the way to the (then) restriction past the second sink, and didn't find the guy. Sheck looked in the restriction, and decided that nobody could have gotten in there without leaving tracks in the silt, so we called off the search.

    Sheck was convinced that The guy had pulled a disappearing act, and ran off from his buddy, and climbed out through the first sinkhole. It seemed to make sense because the guy owed a bunch of money.

    Part 2 - about 2 years later
    I heard Sheck telling his version in a parking lot a couple of years later. It went something like this:

    "We were swimming along very slowly, looking left and right for a body. It was very spooky. Then all of a sudden something grabs my fin!"

    Part 3 - Early '80s
    Roger Werner was diving Telford, checking out the sidemount leads, and found a mask, and a couple of bones. He got the chills, and looked up. There was a skeleton in a wetsuit pinned against the ceiling.

    Part 4 - 2003
    Ron Bear took me to dive a cave in the panhandle, and told me this story:

    "We were diving in Telford one time, and something grabbed my fin." I thought it was my buddy, but when I looked back he was looking a different direction. When we got out, I asked him about it, and he said it wasn't him, but he had heard stories about the Ghost of Telford"

    I have heard several version since, and I guess that makes me the Ghost of Telford

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have heard several version since, and I guess that makes me the Ghost of Telford
    That...is...awesome!



 

Similar Threads

  1. Cave penetration
    By asiancave in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts