Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40
  1. #11
    Time Out User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Cave diving allows for longer and deeper penetrations!


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    102

    Default

    I think lines are a relatively newish technology in wrecks and were shunned at first by the wreck community, while cave divers have "made it their religion" (to quote Shadow Divers.) I think that the wreck diving community is also more accepting of penetrating without a specific certification than the cave diving community.


    In the Great Lakes we were running lines in the 70's. They were on wire frames, welded into an "H", clipped to the weight belt. It's pretty hard to keep the line clear on a wreck in limited visibility (18 inches), so we learned to memorize where we were and decompress in open water.
    Over half the guys I dive with now have no cave or overhead training. None of the old guys did. Some could move through a silt filled room like a ghost. Up here if you own a boat and gear, no one is going to check your C card before you dive.
    A lot of classic wreck skills are dying with us old guys. Most of us just accept it and let it go.


  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Burlingtion, NC
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGU View Post
    I think lines are a relatively newish technology in wrecks and were shunned at first by the wreck community, while cave divers have "made it their religion" (to quote Shadow Divers.) I think that the wreck diving community is also more accepting of penetrating without a specific certification than the cave diving community.


    In the Great Lakes we were running lines in the 70's. They were on wire frames, welded into an "H", clipped to the weight belt. It's pretty hard to keep the line clear on a wreck in limited visibility (18 inches), so we learned to memorize where we were and decompress in open water.
    Over half the guys I dive with now have no cave or overhead training. None of the old guys did. Some could move through a silt filled room like a ghost. Up here if you own a boat and gear, no one is going to check your C card before you dive.
    A lot of classic wreck skills are dying with us old guys. Most of us just accept it and let it go.
    I was trained to always run a line into a wreck. At the same time I remember some wreck divers being against it in the very late 90's


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Here's a question for the wreck divers among us or anyone with an opinion:

    In a wreck versus a cave, do you stash your O2 when you get to the bottom of the descent line, just inside where you start penetrating, or carry it with you the entire time?

    I opted for carrying it with me mainly because I think stashing it had at least a contributory effect on the Rouse's death. It would have been easier maneuvering within the wreck without it though.


  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    Here's a question for the wreck divers among us or anyone with an opinion:
    In a wreck versus a cave, do you stash your O2 when you get to the bottom of the descent line, just inside where you start penetrating, or carry it with you the entire time?
    Clipped to my line just out of sight inside the wreck. My buddy never ditches his, but he never runs a line.


  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Burlingtion, NC
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    Here's a question for the wreck divers among us or anyone with an opinion:

    In a wreck versus a cave, do you stash your O2 when you get to the bottom of the descent line, just inside where you start penetrating, or carry it with you the entire time?

    I opted for carrying it with me mainly because I think stashing it had at least a contributory effect on the Rouse's death. It would have been easier maneuvering within the wreck without it though.
    Personally I kike to keep mine with me at all times but it depends on the wreck. Some of the U-Boats are really tight so I will clip off just inside of the wreck


  7. #17

    Default

    Keep it with you if at all possible.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kk4mei View Post
    I was trained to always run a line into a wreck. At the same time I remember some wreck divers being against it in the very late 90's
    If I'm out in the dirt away from the wreck, I run a line. Otherwise I do a swim through and return to the mooring on the deck. Great Lakes wrecks are pretty easy to find your way around inside.


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I never detach my deco gas, keep with me at all times. I run a line unless the exit is in sight (similar to cavern rules)


  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGU View Post
    I think lines are a relatively newish technology in wrecks and were shunned at first by the wreck community, while cave divers have "made it their religion" (to quote Shadow Divers.) I think that the wreck diving community is also more accepting of penetrating without a specific certification than the cave diving community.


    In the Great Lakes we were running lines in the 70's. They were on wire frames, welded into an "H", clipped to the weight belt. It's pretty hard to keep the line clear on a wreck in limited visibility (18 inches), so we learned to memorize where we were and decompress in open water.
    Over half the guys I dive with now have no cave or overhead training. None of the old guys did. Some could move through a silt filled room like a ghost. Up here if you own a boat and gear, no one is going to check your C card before you dive.
    A lot of classic wreck skills are dying with us old guys. Most of us just accept it and let it go.
    RGU, would you mind elaborating on the "classic wreck skills" that are dying out? I'm always interested in learning from the, as you put it, "old guys".



 

Similar Threads

  1. Cave penetration
    By asiancave in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts