Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Good reads...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Alachua, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,584

    Default Good reads...

    I remember a post where Kelly and Jax were talking about the history of cave diving and how it isn't well documented to say the least, everybody reads "Caverns Measureless to Man" which is as Kelly pointed out somewhat one dimensional. I pretty much have every cave diving book known to man and have for years as I feel education begins with acquiring knowledge, eg you should read "The Darkness Beckons", "The Cave Divers", "The Art of Safe Cave Diving", "Cave Diving; Articles and Opinions", "The Cave Diving Group Manual", "The NSS Cave Diving Manual" and so on and so forth.

    However if you're like me and love reading fiction, one of the best books out there that is pretty legit is "Down to a Sunless Sea" by David Poyer, I've read it so many times and am just starting it again tonight and it will give you the chills. Written in 1996 it mentions the Luraville Country Store, Emerald, Peacock, Ginnie etc.

    Just a heads up for some of the newer cave divers in our community that may not have heard of it...

    Safe diving,

    Rich

    P.S. Anyone else have some good suggestions, post them here....

    Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dothan, AL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    701

    Default

    The one I'm currently reading has nothing to do with diving, but is a good read nonetheless. "Shakey", the biography of Neil Young. As biographies go, it's well done. And the subject is a good one for us "wannabe" musicians.

    Bil Lindstrom
    UCLA

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    +Deep into blue holes
    +Taming of the slough.

    ive already read the above except "down to a sunless sea" looks like i have some xmas reading to do


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    A guy named Jeff Carson, who I did some diving with back in the 90s, helped give Poyer some background information on cave diving for his book. It's been almost 20 years since I read it, but yeah I remember it was OK.

    Ken Sallot

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    I would add:
    Safe Cave Diving, Tom Mount 1973- will show up on Ebay once and awhile
    Complete Guide to Cave Diving NAUI 1973- very rare
    Wakulla Springs Project, Bill Stone,1989- CDS used to stock this
    Caves and Karst of Florida-NSS Guide book, Lee Flora,2008-probably still available from the NSS
    6th and 7th Annual Proceeding from NACD Seminar 1973 and 1974- ultra rare
    1st Proceeding from the NACD Seminar 1968. -ultra rare.
    Beyond the Deep- Barbara Am Ende aka Squirrel Girl here.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Detroit and Key Largo
    Posts
    466

    Default Another book

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    .
    Beyond the Deep- Barbara Am Ende aka Squirrel Girl here.
    Good read. Another book on the same exploration, but with a slightly different perspective is Blind Descent - Quest to discover the Deepest Cave.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    53

    Default

    The first 19 volumes of Underwater Speleology (1974-1992) are available on nsscds.org under Members-> UWS Newsletter (scroll to the bottom to select a year). Much of the history of cave diving can be found here.

    I'm working on organizing/scanning/uploading the rest of the archive.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I enjoyed "Into the Deepest and Darkest: Deep Diving Adventures in South Africa and the Gulf of Aqaba" the formatting wasn't the best but overall I enjoyed it.


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Tha is great!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
    The first 19 volumes of Underwater Speleology (1974-1992) are available on nsscds.org under Members-> UWS Newsletter (scroll to the bottom to select a year). Much of the history of cave diving can be found here.

    I'm working on organizing/scanning/uploading the rest of the archive.

    "Is this thing on?"

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    "A Glimmering in Darkness" by Graham Balcombe; about the beginnings of cave diving in the 1930's & 1940's in England and Wales. Cool old photos as well as very interesting stories.

    "The Cave Divers" by Robert Burgess is also well worth reading.



    Mike



 

Similar Threads

  1. That can't be good
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts