Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fort White, FL
    Age
    50
    Posts
    329

    Default Shipping gear to Mexico

    Wondering if any has shipped gear down to Mexico? Going to be sending a couple packages, due to the expense of the equipment it needs to be insured. Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions based on prior experience.

    I did ask at the post office. That is not going to be an option due to the lack of insurance coverage once it leaves the country.

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    Doing It Caverkevin

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Age
    54
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caverkevin View Post
    Wondering if any has shipped gear down to Mexico? Going to be sending a couple packages, due to the expense of the equipment it needs to be insured. Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions based on prior experience.

    I did ask at the post office. That is not going to be an option due to the lack of insurance coverage once it leaves the country.

    Thanks,

    Kevin
    I put some effort into figuring out how to get a new set of SS UV-26 batteries to SE Mexico last spring. I settled on FedEx and shipping was close to the cost of the batteries. On the other hand they actually arrived, within a day of when they said they would, and the package was undamaged. I set up a commercial account with FedEx so they could ding my credit card for any unknown additional duties that may have come up rather than trying to make the folks on the receiving end pay. In the end there were no additional charges (just what FedEx charged me upfront).

    I am leaving for my next trip down in the morning and am looking forward to putting some time on that UV-26 on this trip.


  3. #3

    Default Shipping gear to Mexico

    You might look into stamps.com or similar, as they use a third party insurance broker. When I had to ship my rebreather to the U.K., USPS wouldn't insure the package for more than a few hundred dollars (because of insurance scam or some such excuse). Stamps could insure it for the full value, and it shipped usps priority.

    Worked for me to U.K., but not sure what their policy to Mexico is. It's worth giving them a call to ask.

    Jim


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    I have looked at shipping stuff ahead of time to Mexico and I have found it cheaper to pay the overweight baggage fee instead. If you find a way to do it reasonably please let us know.

    On a side note several years ago I was on a cruise and met a lady whose husband had one of the dive ops on Cozumel. She was a US citizen and said that when she came to the States a few times a year she would go to yard sales, Goodwill etc and buy cheap luggage. She would then book a cheap cruise and carry all kinds of stuff in the luggage and just get off the boat in Cozumel. I am sure this would work if you had time and were leaving the stuff in Mexico.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    I love that just for Jewiness if it!!

    Bob


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fort White, FL
    Age
    50
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floridabob View Post
    I love that just for Jewiness if it!!

    Bob
    That how I moved everything to France when I married Cris.

    Doing It Caverkevin

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fort White, FL
    Age
    50
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Well looks like I'll be flying to Mexico for a weekend.

    If I shop dates, more than 50% less than FedEx International Priority. The kicker is the receiving party wants nothing to do with collecting the buyers goods due to the duties. At least this way I'll be present when the customs officials inspect the items.

    Thanks for all the replies.

    Doing It Caverkevin

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ft White Fl
    Age
    69
    Posts
    210

    Default

    check out sendmybag.com
    I used them for shipping gear to Germany...much cheaper than UPS FedEx of USPS
    You just have to have a receiving address/person...it is door to door They pick up at your address/
    Lee

    Safe Diving

  9. #9
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    It was suggested to us to not ship anything valuable, at least via the normal carriers.

    I looked into less than container load shipments via cargo ship, and that seems like it might be a good option. If you have a pile of gear for a group tanks, scooters, maybe compressors, etc... that weight adds up quickly.

    The downside was that it needs to be packed very well, probably palletized (both directions), and of course it takes longer, 2-3 weeks. But you can get it picked up locally via truck and transferred so that you don't have to haul it to a port.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Waskaganish, Canada
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I've used DHL into Cancun. Tracked and insured. Cost an arm and a leg but my dive lights made it.

    For my rebreather I'm flying to pick it up.


    Keep us posted how it works out.

    Cameron



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts