Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    I asked Sebastien on FB but haven't gotten a response yet (literally just asked), but don't see any provision for tying it to a bolt snap, or tying a loop of cave line so you can clip it off with a double ender. Not a big deal, just something I noticed. Phillip, did Patrick mention any more about diving the unit?
    You could always carry it in a pocket.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Arizona or traveling
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    You could always carry it in a pocket.
    I actually just received a response from Sebastien. There is indeed a hole on the bottom for some bungee or cave line. It's not in the 3D model.

    Absolutely it'll be stowed in a pocket until use, but I like to clip things off inside my pockets just in case. People lose enough spools as it is, I'd hate to lose this because it fell out while digging out some wetnotes or something. And in the event you need to briefly stow it, easier to clip it off to a d-ring than have to dig it out of a pocket again. Truthfully, it's entirely because I get twitchy when things aren't secured. Hold over from being a rigger I suppose.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Every dive thingy deserves a way to clip it in. Divers can choose whether to use it or not, but it needs at least that much.

    I think this is a cool device, and it's a step in the right direction. Here's some quick thoughts, on it:

    1. Don't stop knotting line. Knots are used for more than just survey, but ultimately the best reason I have for not to stop knotting is that my survey book has never run low on batteries, failed to boot, or had problems uploading data. The device is pretty cool, but until it gets widespread use and most of the kinks worked out of it then it shouldn't be considered reliable. Redundancy dictates we carry a book as a backup, or risk coming back with no survey.

    2. Once people start getting their units, it'd be good to see some validation on survey. It's cool to see Sebastian testing the repeatability of the unit, but I'd love to see independent results as well as the same tests compared against traditional survey to see how they compare. Until some of that is worked out, I'd be skeptical of the results.

    3. How do distance measurements compare? With a device like this, how much tension is needed on the line? In traditional dive survey we don't stretch the line, will the type of line we use give us different distances compared to traditional survey. It might seem petty, but we won't know how much it matters until someone runs the tests. Sources of error in surveys are important to understand, especially if you're trying to connect caves or find new entrances. Ask me about the time I spent combing the side of a ridge looking for a cave entrance that was so close to being there only to find glaring survey errors.

    4. How does keeping track of tie-in points work? In dive survey, individual survey stations can be very hard to keep track of unless we are very clear about this in our dive notes. For instance, dropping an arrow is an important marker to keep track of on a survey. Is there a way to mark that an arrow/marker was dropped using this device? I suppose simply "ending" a survey segment would make it clear, and I'm sure there's a way to start and stop survey segments during a dive.

    5. Is there an easy way to download the dive data to software other than Arianne's line? Like this survey tool, Arianne's Line is a pretty cool thing, but it's not universally used and won't ever capture the whole market of cave surveyors so it's important that it be easily useable by other survey softwares (like Walls).


    This could be an interesting discussion, mods feel free to move to a separate thread if you think it's warranted. I'd love to hear Sebastian's thoughts on some of the above.

    -Jon


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I just pre-ordered one. Their first batch is already pre-ordered, so it will be March before the second batch is in.
    Wish I had know, I would have ordered one also. When are you expecting it?


  5. #15
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graepaep View Post
    Wish I had know, I would have ordered one also. When are you expecting it?
    He said they won't be shipping until February.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    He said they won't be shipping until February.
    I missed the first batch, mine won't be in until March.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. Prism 2 Display unit for sale
    By H2Ocaver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM
  2. Wtb ap unit
    By andrestamla in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 05:02 PM
  3. Citizen Hyperaqualung interface unit
    By HomoErectus in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 08:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts