Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default Compressor Systems that generate 02?

    I was recently told a shop on Long Island, NY has a compressor system that generates 02? So the need and risks associated with storing 02 are eliminated.

    Do these systems exist? How does it affect the cost per fill? Can they be used with a try-mix "stick"?

    Some insight would be helpful.

    Thank you.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    328

    Default

    I think the term you are looking for is "oxygen concentrator". They use them in the medical field and you can usually find them on Craigslist. Some simply deliver 5-10lpm to the patient and some pressurize it into a small bottle.


    The problem is the 1% argon in the atmosphere also gets concentrated. I've seen a couple people say they do it anyways and it doesn't bother them. I don't think I would.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC, USA
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrpai View Post
    I think the term you are looking for is "oxygen concentrator". They use them in the medical field and you can usually find them on Craigslist. Some simply deliver 5-10lpm to the patient and some pressurize it into a small bottle.


    The problem is the 1% argon in the atmosphere also gets concentrated. I've seen a couple people say they do it anyways and it doesn't bother them. I don't think I would.
    A guy I talked to actually has done a few CCR dives with oxygen out of a concentrator. The trick, according to him, is to loop flush every so often. That way, the Argon (and other crap) doesn't build up in the loop. It seems like it should be more often the more oxygen you add to the loop.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    328

    Default

    I can think of a half dozen concerns here and probably more I don't know what I don't know. I'm not willing to try it myself. I just pay my $40 for a t-bottle of aviators.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    They also concentrate CO, and CO2.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Jon, are you referring to a membrane system? Ie takes nitrogen out of the air and keeps the oxygen only? it typically can produce up to 40% nitrox...dont they they output pure O2


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Can a membrane system be used to a greater efficiency the 40% as Brownies suggests? I don't think a dive shop thats been around for over 30 years would assume the associated risks noted above with "concentrators" but I'll get more info directly from the dive shop and post it. The feedback here will be interesting.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    As said above, the only thing that would work is an oxygen concentrator for medical use. They aren't that awesome unless you're spending really serious bucks (like large hospital bucks). I looked at a few for my office to save on oxygen costs and one big negative is they don't produce 100%. They usually produce about 97% in most cases. Not a huge deal, but made it not worth the cost in my opinion. On top of that they're not really made for banking oxygen as much as producing for immediate use.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    As said above, the only thing that would work is an oxygen concentrator for medical use. They aren't that awesome unless you're spending really serious bucks (like large hospital bucks). I looked at a few for my office to save on oxygen costs and one big negative is they don't produce 100%. They usually produce about 97% in most cases. Not a huge deal, but made it not worth the cost in my opinion. On top of that they're not really made for banking oxygen as much as producing for immediate use.
    Thanks Dude. The shop that has this system is closed today, so for me and maybe 6-7 others T bottles and a booster sounds like its the most cost effective.

    Cheers.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jont View Post
    Thanks Dude. The shop that has this system is closed today, so for me and maybe 6-7 others T bottles and a booster sounds like its the most cost effective.

    Cheers.

    The one that I looked at was in the neighborhood of $8000 and could supply up to 3 anesthesia units up to 3L/min. Sounds like alot of oxygen but to get the same system to work in a dive shop capacity would be more expensive.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Systems
    By bpcfire1 in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 06:16 AM
  2. Systems to dive
    By TeddyB in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts