Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default Servicing Gavin Scooters

    What issues could arise when it comes to servicing a Gavin short with a NiMh conversion?

    Thanks.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Everything on a Gavin is fixable with a large hammer, bow saw, and a torch.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC, USA
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Just don't believe that NiMh batteries aren't explosive....they're just less-so than most Lithium-based cells. I've had more than a few occasions of very high quality, professionally custom-built packs blow up in my hand. Not scooter batteries, obviously, but much smaller packs. Make sure to be very careful around the pack.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Thanks Gents


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jont View Post
    Thanks Gents
    We aims to please, that's what we're here for.

    Seriously, it would help if you would tell us what type of service you are planning. Replacing brush board? rear seal? relay? all of it? If it ain't fixed, don't broke it. I have done that with a Tekna that needed a "Service", so I took it apart, replaced the seal, ordered new catalysts, cleaned the brush board, and it has sat on my bench for almost 2 years now because I am too damn lazy to dig a tube and a half of silicone caulk out of the motor bulkhead, even though I know I have to put a tube and a half back in when I am done.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    We aims to please, that's what we're here for.

    Seriously, it would help if you would tell us what type of service you are planning. Replacing brush board? rear seal? relay? all of it? If it ain't fixed, don't broke it. I have done that with a Tekna that needed a "Service", so I took it apart, replaced the seal, ordered new catalysts, cleaned the brush board, and it has sat on my bench for almost 2 years now because I am too damn lazy to dig a tube and a half of silicone caulk out of the motor bulkhead, even though I know I have to put a tube and a half back in when I am done.
    Is Gavin still in business? he number on he site is bad.

    It was a general question to try and understand what is realistically serviceable, a friend may buy a used Gavin and I'm trying to determine if its worth it or not.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    726

    Default

    It turns out there's a problem, it doesn't work. I have 26.2V at the posts but why i complete the circuit with the posts on the switch nothing happens, theres a part that appears damaged though, what is it?

    any ideas?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1734.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	15364Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1733.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	15363Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	15365


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Thats the motor relay.

    You can get any of it serviced and any parts from DPV repair, as well as other places. Curt can rebuild any Mako (tekna) motored DPV.

    http://dpvrepair.com/

    Look down this list, and you will find the relay and the entire board with a relay.

    http://dpvrepair.com/contents/en-us/d1.html

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Doesn't Rodney sell beefed up boards etc. that will work in the Gavin's? I know I have seen them somewhere but all I have ever owned are SS scooters.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Call DPV Repair. He will rebuild it for you. I don't think Rodney will work on Gavins. But I will suggest if you have to rebuild to replace the standard brushboard with Rodneys High Powered BB.

    David Moore
    JWEP, GSEP, OCDA


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM
  2. Gavin Scooters 4 Sale
    By TwoStage in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM
  3. Gavin Scooters on Ebay
    By OFG-1 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 08:36 AM
  4. Magnum Gavin Scooters for Sale
    By Marc Singer in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 07:11 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 10:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts