Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default OMS p-valve help

    That's right, I'm asking for you guys to help me with my P valve . Take a look at the photo, this is a small fitting on the inside of the OMS P valve which was leaking on my last dive and I have removed it today and replaced with a high pressure port plug from a regulator. Any ideas if you can get Replacements of just this little part? I'm assuming this is what allows the valve be balanced compared to an unbalanced valve? I figure to avoid any potential discomfort I will ensure the valve is "primed" prior to the dive.



    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    try cleaning it in a sonic machine and see if its OK again. looks like it could use a bit of cleaning


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    I dont know how the OMS valves work but on the Halcyon ones there is a rubber duck bill one way piece below that set screw that has failed with me. I just did like you did and plugged it with a regular set screw so that now it is an unbalanced valve.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    My light Monkey duck Bill failed new, I just pulled and put a reg port plug in. They offered a free replacement, I didn't bother and have just been diving it unbalanced without issue for a year and a half now.

    - Jeff

    Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Just got done diving it as you guys described... I don't see any reason to mess with it at this point... Worked great today!

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk


  6. #6

    Default

    If you decide to try to source the original part try Randy at Piranha Dive Manufacturing. He and I designed that valve while we worked at OMS in about 2000-2001. I used to build them in the factory for stock.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teqdiver View Post
    If you decide to try to source the original part try Randy at Piranha Dive Manufacturing. He and I designed that valve while we worked at OMS in about 2000-2001. I used to build them in the factory for stock.
    Hopefully you can explain this... What is the true benefit if a balanced p valve vs a non-balanced valve?


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Marlborough Ont, Canada
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Think about the refreshing effects of ice diving in some colder climates.

    The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

  9. #9

    Default

    Not much really. If you are diligent enough to charge your tubing prior to descent, the difference is nil and as you've found out, balanced valves have a weak spot that needs regular service not to screw up.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default

    I like the unbalanced valve. No maintenance other that making sure the hose is clean. I use a mixture of denatured alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. I do a 50/50 mix and squirt 5cc from a syringe in the tube after diving. This has worked for me for 3 years now without any trouble.



 

Similar Threads

  1. OMS Valve Caps
    By Pullnglide in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 11:33 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM
  3. FS OMS 125 with H valve
    By dpvscooterman in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 01:55 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM
  5. WTB OMS H-valve
    By Serota in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 07:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts