Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 13 of 13
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Mathematically, sixths (50 cf) on a set of 108's with a .65 sac rate at a swim rate of 50fpm should get one 1125 feet into a cave on an average dive at Ginnie using an average depth of 78ish feet.

    In reality, an intro diver probably will have a .8 sac rate, not know how to work the flow, and swim faster... and not make it nearly as far.

    They don't know the secret... The slower you go the farther you'll get


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    719

    Default

    I was limited to thirds, and two navigation decisions, so I can't compare apples to apples. I will say that I could do a first dive at a new cave or tunnel on 95's, and significantly extend my distance on a follow-up dive on the same tanks, or smaller (85's). I chalk this up to being more familiar with navigation, current, and more relaxed.

    I don't base turns on getting to "x". I may have a goal in mind, but I've always enjoyed the dives where I don't reach that goal, so it's hard to complain

    I like to start at thirds, and then add buffer for things like tight tunnel, or restrictions, particularly in low or no viz. Navigation decisions and reel retrieval, really anything that might slow me down on the way out.

    On the way in, I may add to the buffer (never subtract) based on my breathing rate, overall viz, and especially other teams. Especially, especially for teams that seem to be having problems with fin kicks or buoyancy. If I screw up, I'm there to know about it. If another team screws up between me and the exit, I won't know about it until I get there, which gives me less time, and less gas to deal with the problem.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    55

    Default

    The way it was explained to me is get comfortable with the 500' then push from there. Learn the cave, where the flow is and how to stay out of it etc.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Personal development of a cave diver
    By theriel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts