Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Default Personal Experience Question: Penetration for Intro Diver?

    I am new to this site, and fairly new to cave diving, but I heard something this weekend that made me ask this question.

    How far can you penetrate into a cave on an intro dive? This would mean turning on 1/6ths and staying on gold line.

    I'm not asking as a "penetration goal" in diving. I honestly believe that penetration goals are stupid while diving, and your "goal" is to enjoy your time while diving to your limits. I ask because as I get better at diving, I have a better SAC rate, and am generally more comfortable in the water, and therefore, go a little farther into each cave I dive.

    OBVIOUSLY each person's degree of penetration will be dependent on their tank size, type of rigging, air consumption, type and depth of cave, and many other factors that I have not listed above, but I just wanted to know what most people would consider their "average" penetration.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Taylorsville, KY
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I was told that the penetration limit for Intro divers was 1000ft. So it depends which organization you did your training with.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Waskaganish, Canada
    Posts
    104

    Default

    On the tdisdi webpage it states for into to cave:

    Penetration is limited to the “rule of thirds,” OR 1/6th if using doubles to a maximum depth of 40 metres/130 feet.

    Various organizations differ.

    Regards,
    Cameron


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malreynolds921 View Post
    ...How far can you penetrate into a cave on an intro dive? This would mean turning on 1/6ths and staying on gold line....
    Besides SAC rate, depth will determine how far you can go on a given amount of gas (6ths, 3rds, etc.)

    All training agencies have different rules, ask your instructor if there is a distance limit, or only gas limit.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    southeast of disorder
    Posts
    275

    Default

    I've not heard of a distance limit, only gas as that is the critical limiting factor. You have to ask yourself however, even if I can penetrate 1000', is it wise to do so?

    There are a lot of skills to develop and tons of cave to see in the first say, 600' of our local systems. It sounds like so far you are going about the right way of conservative, progressive penetration.

    "Cave diving is for grown ups. Make grown up decisions."
    -AJ

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    also important to remember the tanks that were being used when that rule was first implemented. Sixths of a pair of 72's is a far cry from a sixth with lp121's...


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    I would add to commonly known rules the visibility, flow and accumulated team errors count on a given dive. Most people will be feeling uncomfortable when those worsened any way but folks who are trained to be mission oriented might suppress the feeling.

    ARY (Photo, video)

  8. #8
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE Coast of Arizona
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Double 100s or 85s filled to 3600 get me to 600 feet in low flow, 500 in high flow, at ~100'. If one is in the Yucatan, I could see 1/6th getting a person to 1000 in their ~30' depth.

    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    also important to remember the tanks that were being used when that rule was first implemented. Sixths of a pair of 72's is a far cry from a sixth with lp121's...


    I never heard my instructor even mention a 1/6th rule back in '91. If I am correct, the NACD rules back then were to limit to single tank. And 104s and 95s seemed to be the most common tank for most of the guys I knew around then. I do think the 1/6th rule makes sense, you could dive some massive single LP130 if you were really trying to push the rules, .. but why?


    I do remember a point where I was not allowed to dive my doubles at Ginnie or Peacock without an instructor with me.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    I never heard my instructor even mention a 1/6th rule back in '91. If I am correct, the NACD rules back then were to limit to single tank. And 104s and 95s seemed to be the most common tank for most of the guys I knew around then. I do think the 1/6th rule makes sense, you could dive some massive single LP130 if you were really trying to push the rules, .. but why?


    I do remember a point where I was not allowed to dive my doubles at Ginnie or Peacock without an instructor with me.
    That is why the "new" 6ths rule, so you can dive doubles as an Intro diver.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. Personal development of a cave diver
    By theriel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts