Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    719

    Default Writing Underwater

    How do you do it?

    I'm really not fond of wrist slates. A notebook with graphite pencil seems to work okay until the pencil disintegrates, and the ones I've looked at are all just a tiny bit too large for my liking.

    I was wondering if anyone had ever tried shrink-wrapping the graphite pencils, and if so, did it add to the life of the pencil?

    Excluding the examples above, I'd really like to see what everyone is using.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    A cheap mechanical pencil. Just chunk it after a weekend of diving.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Rite in the rain paper, the plasticized kind, and any mechanical pencil works for me. The really cheap bic ones are what I usually buy because their cheap and I tend to lose them.

    -Jon


  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    I have been logging data for years, and my preferred means is using Rite in the Rain paper, with templates I print from a laser printer. I hate mechanical pencils because the sharp point will have a tendency to puncture the paper and cause microtears. I like the graphite pencils, and will usually use wire shrink wrap around the pencil to give if stiffness to reduce breakage. The graphite pencil does a great job of writing without damaging the paper.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    6

    Default



  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-...3EXBAQWAZBGZQT

    Magna-doodle works great underwater. The toy is in a plastic frame that can be broken away, leaving just the sealed plastic writing surface. Cannot make a LOT of notes, the magnet "pen" writes more like a broad tip felt marker than a pencil.

    But for passing notes, or having short conversations, just great.

    Some local dive shops used to sell the magna-doodle built for wrist mounting, but don't know if it's still being sold in dive shops anymore. Still being made and sold in toy stores.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Check out push point mechanical pencils....An example, but the link is silly

    http://www.carnivalsource.com/store/...FQiqaQodrnUHew


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    352

    Default

    http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Croquis...-mm-6B/pd/3352. You can run a piece of thin bungee through the top cap.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Pilot croquis pencil is pretty sweet.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rongoodman View Post
    http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Croquis...-mm-6B/pd/3352. You can run a piece of thin bungee through the top cap.
    4mm, I really like that. Much easier to see. Good compromise between mechanical, and graphite pencils.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. Cave Writing
    By wingman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM
  2. writing on arrows/cookies underwater
    By akcaver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 09:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts