Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: PFO closure

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    377

    Default PFO closure

    I'd like to find out how cave divers do after having this procedure done. Anybody out there know somebody that had the procedure or heard anything that could shed light on the upside and downside of this procedure for reducing bends susceptibility.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Taylorsville, KY
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Doug Ebersole would be a good guy to talk to.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Marianna, FL
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Doug is definitely the guy to talk to. He is not only an expert interventional cardiologist, he's also a tech diver/instructor, so he "gets it."

    Three months after my procedure I hopped back in the water doing the same dives that got me bent, with no ill effects. My experience does not a statistically-significant result make, but it has made a world of difference for me.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Dr Ebersole is "debersole" on this forum.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    I wrote an article about my experience and posted it on my diving articles page.

    http://www.divegainesville.org/mendi...-did-about-it/

    BTW - other divers I know who have had the closure and had great success include a well known GUE Instructor Trainer/Evaluator and a well known CCR Instructor Trainer. I'd be happy to ask them if I can share their contact info.

    Ken Sallot

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Akumal, Mexico
    Posts
    271

    Default

    John Hanzl gave a comprehensive and frank talk about an DCI hit he sustained last year in cave country, which was ultimately caused by the existence of a PFO (http://johnhanzl.com/2015/10/29/my-p...hint-it-sucks/). He had surgery to correct the issue. I'm sure he would be open to talking to you about it.


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleC View Post
    but it has made a world of difference for me.
    Out of curiosity, how has it made a world of difference?

    25% of the general population have PFOs, and generally do not suffer ill effects (to include DCS) from the existence of their PFO.

    David

    "So long and thanks for all the fish!" -- Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Marianna, FL
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    Out of curiosity, how has it made a world of difference?
    Real-world incidence of DCS is 4 / 10,000 dives.
    Before the closure, I experienced skin bends 3 out of the last 8 dives, each time more severe than the previous. And likely pre-clinical DCS many more dives before that.
    After the closure, no DCS symptoms (16 post-closure dives.) Having the PFO closed has allowed me to return to diving safely. That to me is a world of difference. Diving >> No Diving.


    25% of the general population have PFOs, and generally do not suffer ill effects (to include DCS) from the existence of their PFO.

    David
    True...if anything your number is conservative. But for those who have a PFO or ASD and do experience symptoms, they are not going to get better on their own. I've met quite a few cave divers that are in denial of their symptoms. When I first experienced skin bends I was told "Welcome to the Club!"..."get used to it" by fellow cave divers, and basically "stop diving" by DAN. Neither was not an option I was willing to accept.


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    I have a question for you guys with the PFOs. I had an echocardiogram and it didn't show a PFO. However, I learned there are different types of tests, and the one I had was the simplest, and it might miss a smaller PFO. Do you guys have big honking PFOs, or are they tiny?

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    441

    Default

    I'd be curious, were you able to make insurance pay for it? If not, what was the cost?



 

Similar Threads

  1. Update on PFO Study
    By debersole in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 12:39 PM
  2. Anticipate Peacock closure soon
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 01:55 PM
  3. Anyone had a PFO closure?
    By JSNTP in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 07:09 PM
  4. Looking for Divers with a PFO for a Research Study
    By debersole in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
  5. School Sink Closure
    By fno in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 06:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts