Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default Grim Reaper Signs - Info requested

    Good Morning All

    I would be grateful if someone could provide some history on the North Florida 'Grim Reaper' signs please. Specifically when they came into existence and who came up with the idea. I have done a quick on-line search and cannot find any evidence as to dates and inventor. All the information I have found just states they exist.

    I am currently writing a document and would like to include accurate baseline data regarding this safety device.

    Very many thanks
    - Roz


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roz View Post
    Good Morning All

    I would be grateful if someone could provide some history on the North Florida 'Grim Reaper' signs please. Specifically when they came into existence and who came up with the idea. I have done a quick on-line search and cannot find any evidence as to dates and inventor. All the information I have found just states they exist.

    I am currently writing a document and would like to include accurate baseline data regarding this safety device.

    Very many thanks
    - Roz
    If memory serves correctly the grim reaper sign was a joint activity between PADI and the CDS at the inception to prevent OW fatalities in caves.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks for this Kelly. Any idea what year this might have happened please?


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default

    I don't know the exact date of the Grim Reaper Sign but here is what I know about it. In the 80's PADI and NSS/CDS got together and came up with the sign. Karl Shreves was the lesion between PADI and cave diving. Karl was the spokesman for PADI at the time. PADI did most of the funding for the project. Karl along with the NSS/CDS came up with a warning sign for divers who were not trained to stay out of the underwater cave systems. Notice on the Grim Reaper Sign that all the agencies were, and are mentioned, on the sign and not just the NSS/CDS. The Grim Reaper Sign is a universal warning sign to all who are entering an underwater cave system.
    I hope this helps.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    southeast of disorder
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shellmoundal View Post
    Karl Shreves was the lesion
    Ouch!!

    "Cave diving is for grown ups. Make grown up decisions."
    -AJ

  6. #6

    Default

    Thank you 'Shellmoundal'.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Ouch!!
    Spell Check does it again. lol



 

Similar Threads

  1. Grim Reaper video
    By jsteedley in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 07:36 PM
  2. Grim Reaper Warning Logo
    By stvbrit in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 07:43 PM
  3. Grim reaper video?
    By JeffB in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
  4. grim reaper sign
    By willadams67 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 08:29 PM
  5. grim reaper sign
    By ggoodman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-23-2006, 02:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts