Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Matt Basford?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    187

    Default Matt Basford?


    Quote Originally Posted by jebernot View Post
    This is a joke.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Central GA
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Hopefully trolling. Among others, Rob would know if there is any graffiti in it.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Posts
    101

    Default

    There is definitely graffiti in Shangri-la. I just completed my cavern and Intro with Rob. Shangri-la was one of the locations we used during the cavern courses. This was also posted up in a FB group I follow called "Spring Hunters"

    Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Probably an ow diver. I remember a few years ago some ow diver from Panama City scratched their name into the wall of the upper cavern of JB. Supposedly he was tracked down but apparently it wasn't pursued. I have asked a few times what happened but I have never been given a clear explanation. In my opinion ow diving should not be allowed on the Mill Pond and especially JB. It use to not be allowed but I guess someone thought they could make a buck off of it so it was changed. There is nothing on the Mill Pond that is within ow limits that can't be seen snorkeling / freediving.

    I have been told his name is in there.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    There is nothing on the Mill Pond that is within ow limits that can't be seen snorkeling / freediving.
    Precisely why I've rented boat after boat from Edd over the past few years and have never once brought scuba gear to the pond. I've freedived the caverns of shangrila, twins, hitw, gator, JB (until the twit on the life guard chair finally annoyed me enough to leave). Shangrila has always been my favorite one of the mix due to the exit in the back left corner of the cavern to dry cave. Gator is creepily fun to go crawling through with a snorkel. But I completely agree that OW should be out of bounds with the exception of with instructors. I only say that because the mouth of JB could be a decent place for OW training for the local shops depending obviously on the amount of cave diving traffic.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Jb isn't big or deep enough to do ow training. It is what 12' deep outside of the cavern and most swimming pools have a bigger area. I agree that with an instructor ow divers should be allowed for such things as cavern training. A student is allowed to dive 1 level beyond their certification level with an instructor while in a class so in my opinion this would put them at the cavern level and thus be allowed. It is just to tempting for ow divers to be allowed there in my opinion. Just look at the girl in Twin. Boats should not be rented to ow divers who come dragging up ow gear. This nearly resulted in a fatality at Twin with the girl. Freediving in the overhead is a bad idea to me but that is a much harder one to control.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    I agree with all of that. I only freedive to a third of my breathhold. Don't worry.

    Lmao


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,305

    Default

    Matt Basford is the name of an afternoon radio announcer in Jacksonville on Lite 96.1FM... same guy?


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    Probably an ow diver. I remember a few years ago some ow diver from Panama City scratched their name into the wall of the upper cavern of JB. Supposedly he was tracked down but apparently it wasn't pursued. I have asked a few times what happened but I have never been given a clear explanation. In my opinion ow diving should not be allowed on the Mill Pond and especially JB. It use to not be allowed but I guess someone thought they could make a buck off of it so it was changed. There is nothing on the Mill Pond that is within ow limits that can't be seen snorkeling / freediving.

    I have been told his name is in there.
    I suspect it's not pursued because it's nearly impossible to prove unless you catch someone in the act. I could easily carve the name of someone I don't like in a cave I know they dive or have been to, post it anonymously to a website and wait for the lynch mob.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    I suspect it's not pursued because it's nearly impossible to prove unless you catch someone in the act. I could easily carve the name of someone I don't like in a cave I know they dive or have been to, post it anonymously to a website and wait for the lynch mob.
    The chances of anything materializing from this are obviously slim to none, but if it did, it would start with the individual being identified. Even if the possibility is remote, It's at least worth an inquiry. Given the moronic nature of some divers, The probability of an idiot incriminating himself is more likely than someone trying to frame another via an obscure comment section of someones blog.

    Quote Originally Posted by jebernot View Post
    This is a joke.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Matt Johnston's Welcome party
    By JE in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 10:15 PM
  2. Matt’s Fundraiser:
    By MattTheAquaman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
  3. Matt 'The Dreamer' Johnston
    By JE in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 09:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts