Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Roger Werner?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default Roger Werner?

    Anyone know Roger Werner? I heard he was ill, and I sent him an email, but never heard anything back from him.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  2. #2
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    That name is familiar. Was he one of Jamie's students in ~1997 from either Berry Scuba or Peachtree Dive Center?

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Talk to Bill Oigarten

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Talk to Bill Oigarten
    OK.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    That name is familiar. Was he one of Jamie's students in ~1997 from either Berry Scuba or Peachtree Dive Center?
    I don't remember who his instructor was. He was an early sidemount diver, and avid explorer. He pushed things like the cross under tunnel in Madison. He found the missing diver in Telford, 5 years after he disappeared. he invented the P-valve. He also came up with the initial concept of the line arrow.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    He found the missing diver in Telford, 5 years after he disappeared.
    Is that the missing diver you and Sheck were looking for when the Ghost of Telford made an appearance?

    Last edited by MORGAN; 12-26-2015 at 09:26 AM.

  7. #7
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    ...
    Nope, different guy.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Nope, different guy.
    Actually, it was the same guy. He was in there 5 years before Roger found him.




    Edit: FW, you misunderstood me. I meant that Roger Werner is a different guy from the Roger I trained with in the 1990s. - Slüdge

    Last edited by Sludge; 12-26-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: clarification
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    i thought that Forrest (with 2 R) guy invented the line arrow


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ellisville FL
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Right now I am working with Roger on a Wall Sink article. Together we recovered two murdered ranchers 35 years ago from the sink. Roger recently sent me a transcript of his logbook on the dives we made at Wall. He did not say anything about being sick. When I lived in Orlando Roger lived right around the corner from me. 8-9 years ago I sat down with Roger a number of times and recorded our discussions. I turned the MP3 recordings into a UWS cave diver spotlight article. Roger is a very humble guy. Although he had prototype line arrows like we use today at the same time as Forrest did. During our discussions Roger deferred the credit to Forrest. Roger said "although maybe I had the layout first Forrest's design of the way the angles and slots are cut/drilled in were Forrest's idea. So I think it is fair to give Forrest the credit." "Without the angles Forrest came up with the line would stay on as well as it does."
    Roger was not so nice to LG. Roger took most of the deep Eagles Nest survey measurements solo on air. Roger was angry LG never gave him credit. In our 40 year friendship this is the only time I EVER heard Roger be ugly.

    Bill Oigarden
    Those who say it can't be done are always passed by those doing it!
    www.cavedivinghistory.com
    www.oigarden.com


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts