Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 299
  1. #181
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    Soooo, I bought some AL80's for the time being...
    It is a good way to start traning. You can always use them for stage tanks later.

    I like white face gauges, they hold phosphorescence longer.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  2. #182
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    It is a good way to start traning. You can always use them for stage tanks later.

    I like white face gauges, they hold phosphorescence longer.
    Thanks, I kind of had that in the back of my mind before pulling the trigger. I thought worse case, I'll just split them, give my dive buddy one and we'll have some more OW stuff, and then I could use them down the road once I get to needing stages.

    I liked the white faces while I was in Ginnie for the same reason, so that makes since. Any drawbacks to the dive rite slim gauges vs regular? And in sidemount, should I look into boots? Noticed the guys I was watching in Devils with "lolly pops" didn't have boots.


  3. #183
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    I liked the white faces while I was in Ginnie for the same reason, so that makes since. Any drawbacks to the dive rite slim gauges vs regular? And in sidemount, should I look into boots? Noticed the guys I was watching in Devils with "lolly pops" didn't have boots.
    I've used white and black face SPG's and they are all just the same to me. I also do not use SPG boots or hose protectors. My experience is that with sufficient care and caution the hoses and SPG's last fine without plastic cushioning them.


  4. #184
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    no need to put boots on them just extra stuff to deal with.

    The slimlines are better for lollipop gauges because they are lighter than the brass ones which will bend the HP hose down and can cause them to dig. Unfortunately most of the caves are littered with two parallel lines about 12" apart that come from improper SPG placement


  5. #185
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    ... Any drawbacks to the dive rite slim gauges vs regular? And in sidemount, should I look into boots? ...
    I use the big ones, because my arms are getting too short as I grow older I agree, no need for boots.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #186
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    no need to put boots on them just extra stuff to deal with.

    The slimlines are better for lollipop gauges because they are lighter than the brass ones which will bend the HP hose down and can cause them to dig. Unfortunately most of the caves are littered with two parallel lines about 12" apart that come from improper valve orientation
    Fixed it for you


  7. #187
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    Fixed it for you
    Kind of what I was thinking. I just can't fathom how divers could drag any life supporting equipment against anything aside from a tight restriction. Not exactly something I want failing in a cave.


  8. #188
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    As a scuba technician I have to 100% disagree with the "no spg boot" crowd. I practically never have people have hp spool problems when they have spg boots. But those with no boots have them all the time.

    But maybe the hundreds of divers I deal with every year are unusual.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #189
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Ice cream doesn't cause drownings, although higher ice-cream sales directly correlate with increased numbers of drownings... what I'm getting at is maybe the same types of people who go out of their way to protect their SPGs are the same types of people that were going to be mindful of what they're banging their SPGs on to begin with.


  10. #190
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    the same types of people who go out of their way to protect their SPGs are the same types of people that were going to be mindful
    No, these divers are clueless about their gear and how they treat it.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.


 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts