Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 299
  1. #271
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Sidemount. I haven't started cavern yet. I'm scheduled for sidemount training the first weekend in June. Trying to get my last odds and ends together beforehand. I expect to spend $1000 or so once I'm there on specifics once I've tried a few things, so I don't plan to have or buy much else before I get there. Currently I've got a Nomad XT, so I'm interested in options for redundant lift before buying a drysuit in the future. I hope to complete cavern training in july/august after getting comfortable in sidemount.


  2. #272
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone 1 View Post
    Sidemount. I haven't started cavern yet. I'm scheduled for sidemount training the first weekend in June. Trying to get my last odds and ends together beforehand. I expect to spend $1000 or so once I'm there on specifics once I've tried a few things, so I don't plan to have or buy much else before I get there. Currently I've got a Nomad XT, so I'm interested in options for redundant lift before buying a drysuit in the future. I hope to complete cavern training in july/august after getting comfortable in sidemount.
    As long as you are in a cavern, you could crawl out if you have a BC failure. I am sure your instructor would help you. Once you pass the class, either get a drysuit, dual bladder, or be sure to tell your buddies that you may need help getting out. It would help a great deal not to use heavy tanks, or use any weights.

    Don't even THINK about not having redundant buoyancy outside of the daylight zone.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #273
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Don't even THINK about not having redundant buoyancy outside of the daylight zone.
    Loud and clear. That's the plan. I plan to dive sidemount and Cavern this entire upcoming year. Maybe Intro in a drysuit this winter? Who knows. I've made it clear that I'm in no hurry. Staying at a level and getting competent before advancing (even if for a year+) is fine with me.


  4. #274
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post

    Don't even THINK about not having redundant buoyancy outside of the daylight zone.
    Where do you stow your backup Clorox bottle?


  5. #275
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    Where do you stow your backup Clorox bottle?
    It has always amazed me that Clorox is older than BCDs.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #276
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    I guess I'm confused now. Is this 28 pages discussing using an SMB or lift bag as backup inflation? And if I'm correct, it's being discussed with a sidemount OW diver?

    Please, take a class first. Or at least have an instructor picked and he/she will answer these questions based on their philosophy. And their classes requirements.

    I'm sure that was said before but there is nodamway I'm reading all those pages to find out.

    Bob


  7. #277
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    No. It's 28 pages of random questions and condescending answers. Yes, it's being discussed with OW diver. I've picked an instructor. According to their side, an SMB is acceptable. According to many of you, it is not. This is why I posed the question. Carry on, bob.


  8. #278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone 1 View Post
    No. It's 28 pages of random questions and condescending answers.

    Carry on, bob.
    Hopefully at least a few of the answers were sarcastic as well...

    If not, Bob is losing his touch.

    Please up your game, Bob.


  9. #279
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    I'm ok with sarcasm, and I find bob's dry humor refreshing as I'm a*** myself. I'm used to the "take the class first" and "ask your instructor" replies. That's too easy and frankly ***t, as I'm asking you guys for a reason. I've asked my instructor. Many are ok with using SMBs. I could take the course, learn to dive that way, and continue diving that way. Or, I could ask other experienced divers (here) their opinions to see if I could use a better (safer) alternative. Again, I've searched redundant bladders but never got the concrete answer. If anyone has used or is using or has seen used an additional bladder on the Nomad, please share that information. I'm new. I come to you for help. If I knew what I was talking about, I wouldn't be asking the questions- I'd be helping the new diver with answers.

    Last edited by Sludge; 05-18-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: remove profanity

  10. #280
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    I've got a 50 lb lift bag. I'll just use that until I get a drysuit.



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts