Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 299
  1. #261
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default

    I dive a single bladder SM when diving Dry. I dive a dual bladder when diving wet. It gives me more security. Probably would never need the dual but you never know.


  2. #262
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Didn't think about that point concerning the Y. Makes sense. Orally inflating is obvious, which I should have mentioned but didn't. I'd surely go that route in such an event. I guess specifically what I want to know is if having a second one tucked back to the bottle when not in use be beneficial? Or would it be just an extra hose to worry about? Would buying just one hose be the best bet at this stage?


  3. #263
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shellmoundal View Post
    I dive a single bladder SM when diving Dry. I dive a dual bladder when diving wet. It gives me more security. Probably would never need the dual but you never know.
    I'll honestly just be diving with an SMB at the cavern level for redundant lift source. My goal is to get a drysuit before cave training.


  4. #264
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    smb's are not redundant lift sources as an fyi.... very few of them have sufficient lift capacity to keep you off the ground, and those that are are excessively long. If you're going that route, which I don't necessarily agree with, but it is what it is, then a 50lb lift bag would be a much better decision


  5. #265
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Noted. I've searched on here a few times without a definite answer regarding dual bladders for the Nomad XT. Some people said you had to send them in, others said it was as simple as pancaking the second bladder between the harness and current bladder. Which is it? I'd prefer a dual bladder if it doesn't take away from the current lift. I want to stress that I'll only be diving caverns in this setup. And I can imagine crawling out of cavern still wouldn't be fun, but I never dive alone, and will be carrying an SMB or lift bag.


  6. #266
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I agree that a small lift bag (25 to 50 lbs) is preferable to an SMB for redundant lift. They are fairly straightforward to deploy with a little practice.
    Dual bladders have their own issues. One must insure that the backup bladder is completely empty and not trapping any gas. The backup inflator should also be oral only to avoid issues with power inflation.
    So far all my cave diving has been in a wetsuit (Mexico & Thailand), and I enjoy the streamlining and freedom relative to wearing a drysuit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  7. #267
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    if you feel that you need a redundant bladder, call Dive Rite and ask what is required, they will be able to tell you definitely as there have been a few changes in the XT over the years it has been produced


  8. #268
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone 1 View Post
    ....others said it was as simple as pancaking the second bladder between the harness and current bladder. Which is it? ....
    Is this suggestion to 'pancake' just the bladder inside the existing shell? Or to add another wing+bladder between the primary wing and the backplate?

    I have also been contemplating something like this. I am not in a dry-suit yet, and have not purchased a dual wing either. I currently have several single bladder wings, and it seems like I could easily put one of the smaller/thinner wings right there with little impact to other functions. I would have to flip it and the inflator would end up on the inside, but I don't see that as a huge issue if the backup was ever needed.


  9. #269
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    For those diving dual bladder, I hope you only have one power inflator hose attached at any given time. With only one attached, if your inflator runs-away you'll know which one it is (the one that's plumbed).

    Ken Sallot

  10. #270
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    There are so many better options than a lift bag or smb.

    An MSR bag placed at your kidneys and bungeed to your BM or SM is one simple, streamlined option.

    Another is stacking a smaller second wing on BM.

    And there are others, too.

    I think a lift bag is the next option just below crawling out. But above an smb.

    I'm sure I've missed it, but are you in doubles on these cavern dives or dual outlets? SM?

    Bob



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts