Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 299
  1. #251
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default


    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

  2. #252
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Best reply yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No argument from me.:arrowed You nailed it Wingman.


  3. #253
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Best reply yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No argument from me.:arrowed You nailed it wingman.


  4. #254
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Lmao... when's the next camp out? Gotta work this week or is be at Ginnie


  5. #255
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    My bad Adler, I misread your nonverbal, which is why I hate conversing over the Internet rather than in person. My apologies. I was thinking that you weren't serious, but at the same time, after just reading the incidents that had occured, it made me think that some people were focused more on the DEFs of scuba diving and forgetting the ABCs. Again, my apologies man.
    I like it. You havent been here too long and you're already apologizing for jumping on someone.
    I'm not sure how you'll do in your courses but between this and the past 20-odd pages I think you'll earn your Abe Davis in internet diving in record time.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #256
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Ft White
    Posts
    315

    Default

    With regards to the OPV thing, I personally pre check every dive. AND I have pulled the OPV *completely* off the wing mid-dive (cave). I would also note it was not a Greek tragedy, I was using a horseshoe wing and just parked more gas on the other side. Was also diving dry so had that as a backup. NBD.


  7. #257
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lv2dive View Post
    With regards to the OPV thing, I personally pre check every dive. AND I have pulled the OPV *completely* off the wing mid-dive (cave). I would also note it was not a Greek tragedy, I was using a horseshoe wing and just parked more gas on the other side. Was also diving dry so had that as a backup. NBD.
    You are correct and it's not such a big deal in backmount. Just a minor modification of the trim, or listing to the left, will prevent most of the gas from escaping.

    In sidemount this can be much more difficult as the over the shoulder inflate/deflate is rarely used and the dump valve will usually sit in a much more exposed position.
    Most SM rigs are designed in such a way that gas can be dumped while in perfect trim, which is convenient and also very helpful in small passage.

    Removing the dump valve can become a serious issue with these kind of rigs.


  8. #258
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Setting up my sidemount system and have a question. Since I'm about to start my training in wetsuit, would I only have one inflator hose to the BC? Seems like an obvious answer, but in my head, I'm thinking about worst case scenario (cat. gas loss to the inflator's tank), and can see where having two inflator hoses would be a benefit. I could very well be misunderstanding this though. What is traditionally done when diving without a drysuit? One inflator on a dedicated side? Two inflators, one tucked, the other to the BC? Or the crazy concept in my mind to have a Y connector with both going to the BC? Ridiculous? Probably. But that's why I'm asking.


  9. #259

    Default

    Oral inflate


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  10. #260
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    y connector doesn't work for the same reason the UTD Z-manifold still requires one side to be shut off. If there is any differential in IP and cracking pressure in the first stages, which there always will be, it will be a biased draw from the side with lower cracking pressure.
    If diving in a wetsuit, you have two options, one is to put an inflator hose on your other first stage and have it tucked away somewhere, the other is to just orally inflate. A lost power inflator on OC is nothing more than a minor annoyance as you should be plenty comfortable orally inflating your BC. This is emphasized to the point that if a students rental gear has an auto-inflating power inflator due to a bad o-ring, we do not require them to call the dive, they are to complete the dive orally inflating as necessary.

    Now, I have inflator hoses on all of my regulators including my O2 bottle. I dive a mix of wet/dry so I am rather lazy when it comes to making unnecessary changes to me gear and prefer for them to all have the ability to inflate. We are also starting to use RescuEAN's and having an inflator on all of the regulators allows any tank to be connected to the pod to administer rescue breathing from a BVM.



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts