Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 299
  1. #231
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    not trying to do anyone a favor, that's what it was referred to when I got into this 5-6 years ago, never said he pioneered it, just what it was called back then. References go back to at least early 2010 specifically with the nomad to try to get it to behave more like an armadillo.


  2. #232
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Attachment 13937



    Haven't gotten in my hands yet, but it appears to be already bottom dump converted?


  3. #233
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Looks like it's already been swapped. I don't think I've seen more than a handful of nomads that haven't been swapped, so not all that surprised.

    http://www.caveadventurers.com/cave-...for-nomad.html

    I would highly recommend grabbing that. Call them and see if you can order without the hardware since you have a bunch on that already *literally just undo the quick link from the ring bungee and put it on the loop bungee*, but it will really help fix the bottles. If you are near any sign places, you can grab a piece of webbing and have them punch grommets in it, but the one linked above has the holes punched for the webbing to slide into the top cam band slot and sex bolt right there which is nice, also has the right bungee in there so you're paying for about $5 in materials, and convenience in not having to measure.


  4. #234
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    His dump valve came off during a cave dive ...
    He should have checked his gear before taking it into a cave. If it wasn't screwed on properly, he would have noticed it when checking the rig.
    Back in the day I even told my OW students to fully inflate the BC and check the opv before the dive.


  5. #235
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Central GA
    Posts
    427

    Default

    I've literally never seen a cave diver check the opv (or any diver for that matter) and have dove with some very experienced divers and prominent instructors. That's not to say they didn't do it before they got to the site and that they don't teach their students to do it. It's a good thing to do though, I was diving with someone in Paradise that it happened to, he was in a wetsuit but had a hose on his backup bladder so it wasn't a high air consuming issue. He has always checked it from that point on.


  6. #236
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    He should have checked his gear before taking it into a cave. If it wasn't screwed on properly, he would have noticed it when checking the rig.
    Back in the day I even told my OW students to fully inflate the BC and check the opv before the dive.
    I do agree and I am sure he did check and test it.
    The cap of the dump valve was cross-threaded, he had taken it off the day before to make some adjustments.
    Now the valve did work just fine for most of the dive, holding the gas perfectly. Towards the end it started leaking heavily and then suddenly popped off.


  7. #237
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    someone from North Carolina showed me this trick...

    Attachment 13936
    Buddy of mine has been doing that for years. Ive skipped it because I'm lazy and worry its an extra failure point but in the real world I'm sure its minor risk.

    Just make sure to buy the good swivels.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  8. #238
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    I'm confident in my knot tying. Might be a good incremental marker too.


  9. #239
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    To be honest, I don't do it before every dive but I do it when I haven't used the rig in a while or done work on it. I would tell my students that they need to check the opv when they use rental stuff.
    Why wouldn't you wanna check it? Takes like 3 seconds.


  10. #240
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    I do it every time I do an OW dive; not something I intend to stop doing for cavern-cave.



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts