Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 299
  1. #221
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Someone correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that Bill Rennaker was the first person to swap the inflator and dump valve so that the inflator was on the bottom and the dump was on top. I know that Brett designed the Armadillo with this configuration so it has been being done for a while now.


  2. #222
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    What do you people do to your gear, tie it to your trailer hitch and drag it down the street? I've been an equipment tech for twenty years and I've NEVER seen some of these gear malfunctions you speak of as happening regularly.

    A little post-dive gear maintenance may be in order.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  3. #223
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    What do you people do to your gear, tie it to your trailer hitch and drag it down the street? I've been an equipment tech for twenty years and I've NEVER seen some of these gear malfunctions you speak of as happening regularly.

    A little post-dive gear maintenance may be in order.
    Russell, the threads on the SMS harness dump and inflator connections are a very fine thread and easy to not get screwed on correctly. I personally know of 2 different divers who had their dump valve blow off after being modified. The one Oliver refrenced was in the Horseshoe Circuit at JB and the other was in HITW. Both harnesses were basically brand new. The HITW incident was with a new harness that had just been purchased and modified by the shop it was purchased at. These incidents aren't from wear and tear but more from a faulty modification of a product.


  4. #224
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Russell, after seeing some of the replies to my gear storage thread, it's believeable. I felt odd and overprotective after reading it. Lol. I understand there's more of a risk of bumping things here and there in an enclosed environment, but I've NEVER had any of these issues in OW. I understand that the more often you dive, the more often things can occur, so I'll hold my tongue until I'm diving more frequently, but geez. Lol. Speaking of you being an equipment tech, do you service regs for people on the forums or just thru the dive shops you work for? I need someone to go thru my mk25/g250s to make sure they're ready to go. Calling my LDS tomorrow for a quote but if any of the rumors are true, the service could be half to 2/3's of what I paid for them used. They're both in breathable shape, but they've been sitting for a few years, so they're due.


  5. #225
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Russell is the man for servicing regs.


  6. #226
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    borrowed wing, did the positive pressure check, but didn't verify that the dump was screwed on all the way. My idiot fault...

    regarding the swap, it has been referred to as the Sorenson Swap for at least 6 years at this point but initiated with his swapping the nomad inflator from the top to the bottom. Never said he did it first, but that's what it was referred to when I started sidemounting 5-6 years ago. When I asked him about it last year, he had the same response as the loop bungee conversion, he didn't start it, he just perpetuated it and apparently become known for it.

    and ^ what he said. Especially with regards to Scubapro's


  7. #227
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    39

    Default Line On Spools Twisting

    Does anyone else have an issue with the line on your spools constantly twisting? Is there a solution?


  8. #228
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fsworld View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue with the line on your spools constantly twisting? Is there a solution?
    someone from North Carolina showed me this trick...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150214_193640.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	13936


  9. #229
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Central GA
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Never heard of it referred to it as the Sorenson Swap but ok. The only problem with buying used regs is you have to get them at a damn good price for it to be worth it if you can't service them yourself. I bought (4) mk17/g250 and (1) mk11/s550 for $500 all in and missed out on (2) mk25s/g250s for $115 each but I'm lucky enough to have a service tech where I just pay for parts and his beer . Even at that price I would come out good if I had to pay to have them serviced. I think it's usually $35 first stage, $15 each additional stage plus parts, at least that's what we charge. I could be mistaken but I think parts for a sp are around $40-$50 so it could be @ $100 per reg for 2 stages. Russell would know better than I and I have 3 regs rebuilt by him whether he knew it or not. I've had no problems with them! If you have (2) mk25/g250s and can be $400-$500 all in your in good shape imo. I believe they sell for $7-$800 new each.


  10. #230
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    regarding the swap, it has been referred to as the [...]
    Don't call it that Tom. That's very rude and offensive towards those who really came up with these original ideas - pioneers like Bill Rennaker, Brett Hemphill and others I do not know of.
    Also I'm sure Edd wouldn't want to take credit for something he had absolutely nothing to do with, so you're not doing him a favor.



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts