Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 299
  1. #211

    Default

    Don't get too hung up on how much gear you've got! It gets worse.

    I'm about 2 years in to cave diving now.
    Over 40 steel cylinders from 20L down to 1L
    Over 10 aluminium cylinders, al80s, 40s and 7L
    About 15 reg sets
    A few drysuits and wetsuits
    And a RB coming next week

    That's just the big ticket items...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  2. #212
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    So I've been watching various BCDs on ebay just to see what comes through, and see this morning that a Recon 1 is about to sell as high used as you can get them from Oxycheq's website brand new, lol. Poor people need to research before bidding... still has a day of bidding left.

    http://www.oxycheq.com/oxycheq-recon...me-series.html

    http://m.ebay.com/itm/Oxycheq-Recon-...ATCHING_ACTIVE


  3. #213
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    For the guys that have or have had the Nomad XTs or transpacs+nomad wings, what are the real differences between the sizes of harness? I see a great deal on an XT, but it's a Large, and according to DR's sizing chart, I'd def need an XL. So what I'm asking is whether or not it's as easy as seam ripping and adding more webbing length, or more than that? My wife's an accomplished seamstress, to validate my reasoning.


  4. #214
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    For the guys that have or have had the Nomad XTs or transpacs+nomad wings, what are the real differences between the sizes of harness? I see a great deal on an XT, but it's a Large, and according to DR's sizing chart, I'd def need an XL. So what I'm asking is whether or not it's as easy as seam ripping and adding more webbing length, or more than that? My wife's an accomplished seamstress, to validate my reasoning.
    As far as I know, the Nomad XT is sized according to the Transpac harness size. Due to the fact that the bladder is placed in between the Transpac and the diver, unlike in backmount, the size for the Nomad XZ needs to be bumped up a little, pretty much one size. So if someone needs an L Transpac in backmount, it would actually be an XL using the Nomad XT. At least that's how it was when I bought mine a few years back.
    I'm guessing you could easily fix it, if sewing was even required, to increase it by one size.


  5. #215
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Hope I didn't over pay at $200 shipped to my door. Merry Christmas to me. All gear debts are paid off as of this week. Time to save for some training and set a date.


  6. #216
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    Hope I didn't over pay at $200 shipped to my door. Merry Christmas to me. All gear debts are paid off as of this week. Time to save for some training and set a date.
    Congratulations, you seem to have gotten an great deal. And by all means, this is my personal opinion based on having used a few of the rigs you had on your wish list, the Nomad XT is a very good choice to start off with.


  7. #217
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    it's just the size of the shoulder pads. There used to be "tall" versions of the transpac, which actually makes the XT quite usable in sidemount, and some of the relaly small sizes have shorter transpacs, but the xt follows the transpac sizes so if it's a size too small it's no problem, you can always get the bigger shoulder pads if you want to, but there really isn't any advantage to them.


  8. #218
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Awesome, thanks as usual for the kind words and info guys. I've read about the shoulder pads shortly after buying it, and the general consensus (especially in wetsuit) is that they're unnecessary.

    I'm reading on RN's site that I need a redundant lift source for Intro. With that being said, should I just look for an additional bladder or replace it with a dual bladder wing? I'm confused on what I'm reading regarding the two- some make it sound like you send it into DR and they attach a new system, while others make it sound like you're just sandwiching another smaller ~10lb bladder in between what's already there.

    It'll make some of you happy to read that I've been searching pretty hard for a used drysuit as well lately. Lol. I haven't seen one come up on here yet that's even close to fitting me, as even if the height is similar, I know my monkey arms would never work. My cousin that I bought a lot of my gear off of has a DUI that fits me, but the wrists of the suit are near my forearms like a 3/4 sleeve shirt. He acted like that could never work, but just in case, I'll go ahead and ask, do they make longer seals? Or is there a reason that the seals need to run all the way down to my wrists other than keeping another 5" of arm warm? And lastly, I know that most DUIs are custom made to order, but would it be feasible price-wise to lengthen arms?


  9. #219
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    About the redundant source of inflation, that does make a whole lot of sense.
    I remember a dive I made with a young and skilled diver last year. He was using a non redundant setup (wet suit and single bladder wing).
    His dump valve came off during a cave dive we did and I was able to fix it in the cave by screwing it back on, luckily he remained in perfect trim so visibility was not an issue.
    Had that not worked, the exit would have been interesting.

    I'm not a fan of redundant bladders and would prefer a drysuit.
    In absence of the drysuit, I would think you should be able to make do by using an SMB as redundancy. Not the best option but acceptable in my opinion while you are on the way to getting a drysuit.


    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


  10. #220
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    drysuit trumps dual bladder wings imho because it allows you to inflate with little to no delay. Weather sucks this coming week so I'll be diving wet with a lift bag as my redundant buoyancy. The shoulder pads are helpful on the nomad for routing a piece of sprinkler tube or cut regulator hose to route the pull dump when you do the Sorenson Swap on it if it isn't done already. I did actually have a dump come unscrewed a few weeks ago while working with an OWT group and was in a wetsuit with double 130's. Was not fun trying to orally inflate and being confused as to why I couldn't get neutral. Luckily my first reaction was to roll to the right to get caught up and then deal with the dump valve once I figured out what was wrong. Whole thing took less than 30 seconds, but sucked none the less



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts