Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 299
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Now that another episode of Edd vs the world is out of the way, let's continue with questions shall we?

    What's the best literature IN YOUR OPINION to start reading in regards to cave diving? I'd like something informative and educational rather than leisure reading. I thumbed a few at CCDS but didn't really care for what I saw and to be fair, I was eager to get to Ginnie after dropping off those tanks.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    What's the best literature IN YOUR OPINION to start reading in regards to cave diving?
    'Blueprint for Suvival' by Sheck Exley is a must-read for cave divers.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    As to books. What Bent said, plus:

    http://www.amazon.com/Cavern-Kings-J...s=cavern+kings

    and

    http://www.amazon.com/Wakulla-Bones-...=wakulla+bones

    Fictional but still great reading and lots of lessons to be learned from them...


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Sounds like some good stocking stuffers. Thanks guys.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    Sounds like some good stocking stuffers. Thanks guys.
    You may more patience than me....I just now picked up the two Bauer books. I already have blueprints.

    Welcome to the Dark Side. We Have Cookies.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    'Blueprint for Suvival' by Sheck Exley is a must-read for cave divers.
    +1

    Excellent book and very relevant.

    Another book I like is the Fundamentals of Technical Diving.

    Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex1836 View Post
    You may more patience than me....I just now picked up the two Bauer books. I already have blueprints.
    Lol. Nah, I'll just keep e-reading like crazy and researching gear and such. My family is always bugging me for smaller gift ideas, so I'll leave the paperbacks for Christmas presents.

    Just to give you an idea of how random I'd like this thread to go...

    I'm quite a skilled fabricator and woodworker, and itching to bring some of my talents to this world. Any docks needing be built? The platforms on the Millpond come to mind but I've been told that they're good. Also what comes to mind is I'm sure I'd need a permit or something before just showing up and building one but I know that Gator Hole doesn't have a dock, neither does Shangri-la (probably not much of a need depending on who you ask, but I guess that could be argued for the others as well though). And it doesn't have to be on MMP. Hell, any planned clean up events, building weekends, campouts, etc going on? I need to find a few mentors one way or another. Even if it consists of just BS-in before and after your dive while I and another buddy hangout in the sunny waters.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Start a list of questions, write it down and while doing your training you would be checking them off with instructor. Whatever is not resolved aftet the initial trainong post it here. It would be a waste of time to learn from answers on Internet prior to basic training because you would be asking unimportant questions or irrelevant to your progression. I suggest you relax now, try to hide as many launch dollars as you can and get trough basics. As result you will get minimum required gear and you will have right questions to ask because you will know the fundamentals. Also while training in cave country you will meet a lots of cave divers who will tell you stories and give advice, honestly one trip down here to fl is worth of years reading internet bull$.

    ARY (Photo, video)

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    For sure man. Unfortunately I don't see me affording a drysuit any time soon, so for the first few years, I'll be diving wet. Good thing is I'm not the least bit cold natured, which I know changes once you're frog kicking calmly for a few hours in a spring. But to give you an idea, we dove ginnie and devil in 3/2 shorties and were more than comfy.

    Also ARY, I hear ya loud and clear, but that's not what I made this thread for. It's for anyone and everyone to question and answer without the need to start another thread for short answered blips. It just hasn't developed into that yet. Yet. Ha.

    If nothing else, it can become a bs chatroom that has occasional relative info discussed. This forum's traffic is pretty low flow for what I'm used to. Why not build rapport and get to know guys before diving so deep into this sport?

    Ok, that was a low flow and deep dive pun in one paragraph. I'm done.


  10. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY View Post
    Start a list of questions, write it down and while doing your training you would be checking them off with instructor. Whatever is not resolved aftet the initial trainong post it here. It would be a waste of time to learn from answers on Internet prior to basic training because you would be asking unimportant questions or irrelevant to your progression. I suggest you relax now, try to hide as many launch dollars as you can and get trough basics. As result you will get minimum required gear and you will have right questions to ask because you will know the fundamentals. Also while training in cave country you will meet a lots of cave divers who will tell you stories and give advice, honestly one trip down here to fl is worth of years reading internet bull$.
    I have to agree.

    Be open minded, and go off the grid ( pick up the phone/email and leave the forums alone), and ask questions of a variety of instructors. People mean well, and using instructor ABC, with gear XYZ, may work great for them,but there may a be a better fit for you. Most of the instructors don't participate on forums,so contacting them directly is important.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick


 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts