A friend had a commercially-produced video of Madison Blue that was made in the early 1990s, and the diver that was shown most was a woman named Wendy (I forgot her last name). She had the most beautiful modified flutter kick I have ever seen.
Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.
Kelly,
I like this post of yours because it is something that I think about from time to time. I love to dive but admittingly don't get a chance to come to cave country often as I would like. Add that to me being new to the sport and it's a concern of mine. I also love hearing about others diving so I do spend quite a bit of time on the forums and watching GoPro footage. I wonder what others think of me prior to diving with me and predict they judge me to some level. I do have a few excellent mentors locally that have helped streamline my diving and raise the bar for me so I try to set high expectations for myself to ensure I continuously improve.
I am very critical of my performance in some situations and I enjoy talking about it. I often see my dives as having many things to improve on but overall I do enjoy them even with some failure.
One thing that usually heightens my awareness of this is diving a new to me system with someone who has dove there before and me being the one who is running the line. I generally like to follow in these situations because of the best tie offs, etc.
I will say it's nice to have someone who you know diving with you when you embarrass yourself...
I can't say enough about diving with people who are way above my skill level. I thoroughly enjoy it. It's like someone said earlier that it feels better when you "confess your sins" so to speak. I usually provide some level of expectations, limitations and skill level preparation prior to any dive with a new buddy. It seems to go well and communication is improved while underwater as well. One of my favorite things is to meet people in cave country that I get a chance to talk to on the forums so I hope to meet you one day.
Take care,
Garth
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want to see some funny redneck quarry diving check out my youtube account..
http://www.youtube.com/user/GoDeepif...n?feature=mhum
I dive easy with most divers. But some divers I ignore. An easy dive to know each other before doing the serious dives is what I prefer.
I do the same with new students, I try to make an dive with them before starting a course. Then I can see how they dive and tell them what they can expect. And I know what I can expect.
On my harddisk I have some nice pictures of the most horrible tieoffs and jumps (jumps marked by cookies instead of arrows for example). I use them private to show what is absolutely wrong.
Bill Main is all about efficiency in everything he does. I have seen him sustain a steady pace in high flow caves with using modified flutter kick, and at the same time only sip air. One thing I have to say about the group we like to call "the old timers". They really developed strong swim skills in caves before there were high tech DPVs, and even those that are still diving now still have those strong swim skills.
"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick
I'll do an easy dive with pretty much anyone who needs a buddy. A second dive? Well, we'll see how the first one goes. Since Tracy and I almost always dive together, the new buddy is a third, and if he or she turns out to be an utter numpty, at least Tracy and I have each other to rely on. We've gotten some of our best ongoing buddies by picking up a third who's looking for a buddy, and we've had only a couple of duds.
We don't interrogate them before diving with them, or make them provide a resume, but we do like to chat and make sure that we're on the same page, especially with safety.
The biggest determinant is attitude. If somebody seems calm, competent, low key, and happy to do a not too demanding first dive, more than likely all will be well. If he seems like he's trying to prove something, talks a big game, is impatient or unwilling to do an easy first dive, or apparently suffers from testosterone poisoning, we'll probably let him find someone else to dive with. Those guys aren't usually looking to buddy up with a middle-aged couple, though, so it's somewhat self-selecting.
Almost all of our experiences with pick-up buddies have been positive.
Mike
I kinda hate to get this thread back on the track the OP had in mind but I missed this reference to me till now. So I have a few points:
1. Its fun to trash each other face to face. Its part of what I really enjoy: The "how you fudged up" and "how I fudged up". Do it every dive...and if its really bad for a few dives after.
2. If you dont run some silly jump line then you never have to learn all that crazy marking shiite, Ken.
3. Choosing a dive buddy is not the same as diving with someone a single time only. Loosen up.
4. When you do lower yourself to dive with someone you dont know, just run it as two solo divers on the same route and cover the basics to your's and their comfort level.
5. This stuff is supposed to be fun so do what you enjoy.
Bob
First off I want to thank the many people who have buddied up with me during my cave diving journey. Like most, I have found the best way is to take it easy and dive known cave passages for the first dive or two. As many of my Cave Country trips are 3 day diving affairs, I've "picked" up quite a few buddies off of the CDF. And I have enjoyed almost every dive - and hopefully my buddies have felt the same and have put up with my slow pace in the water.
Early on, I was almost always the less experienced cave diver, learning new systems and passages through the mentoring of others. More recently I have passed along some of those experiences and directional guidance. I do have to really thank Forrest as he has taken me on my first dives to Cow and Rocky Horror/Courtyard at Madison and well as been a great buddy at systems I already know well. And who can forget last year's low vis. run into Cathedral.
Lastly, I would in fact dive again with Diveconjeff notwithstanding our tough 1st Grand Traverse dive at Peacock.
And if anybody is looking for buddy December 23-25, I am in the search a dive partner - including possibly a photo shoot dive or a scooter run into Ginnie.
If you are looking for the discussion about marking jumps, that has been moved to a new topic. We are trying to keep the discussions matching the thread topic![]()
Bookmarks