Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie question

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Hesse Germany
    Posts
    67

    Default Newbie question

    First post here and a couple of questions; I have booked to do full cave in Europe using back mount cylinders because that's what I am used to. Question is will I have to learn side Mount or is back mount ok for the majority of novice cave diving? I will not be diving in UK. I know that in the old days back mount for cave was common ( not uk)

    Second question is a helmet looks a pretty useful item but have been lead to believe that for back mount it is not generally used as it may hinder deployment of long hose from back of neck, does anyone have experience of this?

    Very grateful for an advice. Thanks


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toby43 View Post
    First post here and a couple of questions; I have booked to do full cave in Europe using back mount cylinders because that's what I am used to. Question is will I have to learn side Mount or is back mount ok for the majority of novice cave diving? I will not be diving in UK. I know that in the old days back mount for cave was common ( not uk)

    Second question is a helmet looks a pretty useful item but have been lead to believe that for back mount it is not generally used as it may hinder deployment of long hose from back of neck, does anyone have experience of this?

    Very grateful for an advice. Thanks
    Backmount is used a lot in large European caves. There aren't many large caves in the UK, so they generally dive sidemount. I have dived backmount with a helmet, and had no problems. You should go with what your instructor recommends, until you finish all the classes.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Where are you located Toby? Are you going to France for training?


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Hesse Germany
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    Where are you located Toby? Are you going to France for training?
    Not to France but to Spain for training, I live in Hesse.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Hesse Germany
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Backmount is used a lot in large European caves. There aren't many large caves in the UK, so they generally dive sidemount. I have dived backmount with a helmet, and had no problems. You should go with what your instructor recommends, until you finish all the classes.
    Many thanks, sounds good


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Where about Spain? Please don't say Mallorca!


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Hesse Germany
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Not Mallorca. Near Alicante cueva del Agua.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Skip the helmet unless you swim like Aquaman. You can do a lot of cave diving in backmount. Many cave divers never move to sidemount. I don't quite understand why so many people are diving sidemount with apparently no need for it. But to each his own. In any event, if—as a newbie—you find yourself in a cave that is so small it requires sidemount, you should probably reconsider your choices.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Hesse Germany
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diver42 View Post
    Skip the helmet unless you swim like Aquaman. You can do a lot of cave diving in backmount. Many cave divers never move to sidemount. I don't quite understand why so many people are diving sidemount with apparently no need for it. But to each his own. In any event, if—as a newbie—you find yourself in a cave that is so small it requires sidemount, you should probably reconsider your choices.
    Sounds good to me, thanks



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM
  2. sidemount newbie tank question
    By jeffersonwsm in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts