Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 13 of 13
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    More than one? ...Wow, I don't think its usual for them to attack something that big.
    We were shocked by this happening to the timid Manatee.....there were several gators at the mouth of the spring run & the manatee were riled up ! I do not know how many were in there....the water was boiling with active attacks by the gators. The manatee were rolling and trying to fight them off. I did not see blood in the water, but it was obvious they were being attacked. We kept our distance ! I have photos somewhere in my stacks of film & dvds....i have to look thru them & will post them when if possible.
    The St. John's river is highly populated with both gators & manatee....the gators are native to Florida waters....the manatee swim inland from the Atlantic seeking warmer waters & vegetation to eat. I do not know how well the Manatee are able to defend theirselves...they are warm blooded mammals. Gators are reptiles & cold blooded. They will attack almost any mammal including humans if they are hungry ! There is a saying: Never feed or chum Bears, Sharks & Gators............>for good reason !

    Last edited by JE; 10-21-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added detali

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Longwood, FLorida
    Posts
    486

    Default

    A follow up today Wednesday the autopsies was released, the death of the victim was consistent with an alligator attack. We dove Blue Spring today and really kept our eyes peeled during our swim down the run, no gators.

    'You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't never heard of anyone wanting to retire to the North'

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Damn. I was hoping for a drowning as morbid as that sounds. I've got a stomachache for that family. Horrifying.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Blue Spring, Orange City
    By Jim Wyatt in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 12:31 PM
  2. Blue Spring, Orange City
    By metaldector in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
  3. Blue Spring, Orange City, FL
    By tj in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 09:01 AM
  4. Blue Spring - Orange City
    By CaptainSpeleo in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2005, 08:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts