Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 23 of 23
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default

    So this document from 1968 is the NACD's proceedings from its first meeting? Clearly the interest is there - in this short thread, people want to see the originals, the context, photos of the equipment and divers du jour. Someone else said he wants to read cave diving's history. More than once people have coaxed Lamar English to tell his stories (at least a book or two's worth). Forrest is a walking encyclopedia, as are many others (you know who you are). For the past several years I've been trying to pull together the story of Devil's cave exploration. Even finding people who might have been there is difficult. Asking them to talk on the record is like pulling teeth. Why?

    Kelly, I passed your post on to someone who may (or may not have) been at this early meeting and invited him to comment. Once again, I urge early (and recent) explorers to share your history. If it hasn't already been documented, let's get it in print ('m happy to do the writing), on uTube, or at least on audio. Otherwise, these fine stories will be reduced to notes in spiral bounds in cartons scattered in attics all over the country. That's a tremendous amount of wisdom unshared. That's way too many stories left untold. Let's put them in context and put them there for future cave divers to have. Cindy Butler put a tremendous amount of work into the Cave Diver's Museum. I'm eager to help document the exploration of some of the "mainstream" caves that divers too easily take for granted today. Those of us who didn't grow up in North Florida got interested in cave diving beause we heard a tall tale. Some of these made it into other people's books or into legend. All would make fine reading for Underwater Speleology. This can be done as part of the conservation project, as series of short stories, as an atlas or a series of videos. I'm offering editorial and interview support wherever you need, assistance with writing story you'd like to tell. Send me an email or call. But let's get it done!

    Thanks,
    Barbara Dwyer
    Senior Editor UWS
    [email protected] or
    (415) 420-1126

    Barbara/San Francisco

  2. #22

    Default

    Barbara, being a life-long avid historian (and obviously loving all things diving) I've talked for years about a definitive book and/or documentary on the history of cave diving old and new. Especially important are the people still around who did it back in the 60s forward.
    I remember talking to Sheck's father at Peacock about it one time and he was anxious to see something done but said that it better be soon and alas he's gone now too.
    Although I'm very busy for a little more than half the year, I would also love to help with this project with photography and writing.

    Gene Page


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Gene, let's talk - see PM.

    Barbara/San Francisco


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts