Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    55

    Default Cave conservation

    I was up at peacock this weekend and as I'm making my way towards distance tunnel I notice a few full on hand prints and a ton of fin marks in the clay, about 600' back. How long should it take for the cave to clear up those marks if left alone? Just curious


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    peacock will clean likely those up on its own if there is a big flood. The floors in OG have changed dramatically in the last few years now that we've been having "real floods" again. I expect it to refresh itself again this year. Not to say that it's acceptable, but at least in the river systems, when the river rises and they start siphoning, it tends to clean itself up.

    The damage in Twin Caves, HiTW, JB etc that don't flood are permanent.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I mean I understand mistakes, they happen. But this was like a battle ground for a solid 100' or so. What is really upsetting is finding beer cans and glass bottles etc a few hundred feet back


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    It is a part of modern environment now so I would not worry more than for example about Mount Trashmore outside Miami. Nothing we can do about it anyway. Far back in Distance tunnel marks on a floor could simply mean that someone had a bad day of a long run zero viz exit. Garbage in systems can be washed in from sinkholes above or by seasonal floods as people mentioned.

    ARY (Photo, video)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    the garbage is probably coming in during the floods. If Challenge floods and there is any trash that is washed into it, or the river floods and it backs up, it happens, luckily this system recycles itself


  6. #6
    Time Out Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I believe those marks were from a cave fatality many years ago.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorP View Post
    I mean I understand mistakes, they happen. But this was like a battle ground for a solid 100' or so. What is really upsetting is finding beer cans and glass bottles etc a few hundred feet back
    Did it upset you enough to remove the beer cans and glass bottles?

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    Did it upset you enough to remove the beer cans and glass bottles?
    Yes, it did. My team can attest to the fact that I carry as much trash as I can out to the cans on land


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorP View Post
    Yes, it did. My team can attest to the fact that I carry as much trash as I can out to the cans on land
    Glad to hear it! I hope others follow in your lead.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorP View Post
    I was up at peacock this weekend and as I'm making my way towards distance tunnel I notice a few full on hand prints and a ton of fin marks in the clay, about 600' back. How long should it take for the cave to clear up those marks if left alone? Just curious
    What a pity. The truth, this will more likely never clear up because marks in the clay are permanent versus disturbed silt. Yes a big flood event will carry in organic material, but the areas between OG to Challenge don't see as many deposits in past floods. If the fissures are deep it takes a lot of material to fill it in. There are things that can be done. I have to do a fauna count there this weekend, and will take note to see if what can be done, and then file a plan with the state to repair it.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick


 

Similar Threads

  1. Conservation for cave divers
    By MichaelAngelo in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2015, 11:05 PM
  2. Cave Conservation & Student Cave Divers
    By Jim Wyatt in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 06:41 PM
  3. Cave conservation workshop
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2005, 07:33 AM
  4. cave conservation
    By wingman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 10:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts