Great video!
Why do we care if these guys have cavern cards? They're not scuba diving, and I'm not their mom.
Great video!
Why do we care if these guys have cavern cards? They're not scuba diving, and I'm not their mom.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." --JFK
Cave Freediving sounds like a category at the Darwin Awards. This is one of those things that is all good until its not all good then its really bad. Without light for added stupidity because it's just not stupid enough as is.
Abe Davis wanna be.
If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?
These are elite free divers not some bozo kids. It doesn't bother me at all. They know what they are doing.
Being an elite free diver does not exempt you from not having enough air to extricate yourself from a restriction.
On the first video I linked he tells of a close encounter he had where he got stuck in a restriction, had no light to figure out he had gone in at a different angle than he was used to and the flow and geology of the cave had him stuck. In that event he had no light, no line to open water and no redundant air supply. These guys are not just using the open water basin.
Saw a guy doing this today too at Jug and he was all kitted out for it, not a novice.
There are many of us freedivers that choose similar springs to dive. We know the risk involved and don't push ourselves past our comfort zone. I'm not going to dare say it isn't dangerous, because that's understood by all of us serious freedivers. This same diving happens far more often than you guys realize by just a few of the reactions I'm seeing. I've freedived springs across multiple states for many years now. It's actually what's pushed me to go for my cave certification to join you guys. Just like dive certification restrictions, the large majority of the guys don't dive outside their limits. Although these "limits" aren't black and white and published in manual after manual, they're very much real. They might not even dive within "your" posted limits, as you've noticed by the lights. To be fair, light limits are for the sole purpose of discouraging a diver from going outside his or her certified limits, a rule that wouldn't be necessary if people followed rules (think gunfree zone). To ridicule a freediver for carrying a light to be able to see his inherently more dangerous environment clearer or simply for cinematography, because sub-Cavern divers aren't allowed to just sounds silly to the freediver. After all, the rule was made for SCUBA in the first place.
Again, I'm not here to start off on the wrong foot by stirring up a debate or argument. He could obviously drown upon even the simplest problem arising, has no redundancy of any kind, and I'm sure he knows that, but as long as he's diving within his limits that he's trained for, then I'm for his freedom. Of course, I'm also for no helmet laws, seat belts optional, etc.
Bookmarks