Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11

    Default

    Ah yes, that is another question:

    What software is used now for mapping (not illustrating, I can do that). I'm hoping to ultimately run analyses using ArcGIS or similar GIS software.


  2. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotus;286944.
    Are there some other tricks that might help my preparation and/or hone other skills relevant?

    .
    Depends on what grade of map you intend to make. If you plan to use a tape to measure side walls then your accuracy will be good,but often times people estimate distance,and that is where I see some of the biggest errors,especially when a side wall is 20ft+. Learn to estimate distance with backing it up with a measured reference to improve your accuracy while learning.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotus View Post
    Ah yes, that is another question:

    What software is used now for mapping (not illustrating, I can do that). I'm hoping to ultimately run analyses using ArcGIS or similar GIS software.
    I use Walls. It is actually designed for "dry" caving, but rchrds came up with a neat trick to use depth instead of inclination. It is about the most flexible cave survey softer there is. It can export in a format to use in most any GIS program.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Here is a sample map, overlaid on Google Earth.

    Attachment 9791

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    arianes line is neat for mapping.


  6. #16

    Default

    That attachment didn't work Forrest, but I'm interested to see. You could email it to me


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotus View Post
    That attachment didn't work Forrest, but I'm interested to see. You could email it to me
    I just gave you access to the forum it was posted in, try it again.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  8. #18

    Default

    I see it now. Thanks.


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I use Walls. It is actually designed for "dry" caving, but rchrds came up with a neat trick to use depth instead of inclination. It is about the most flexible cave survey softer there is. It can export in a format to use in most any GIS program.
    Walls is the most flexible cave survey software available, it'll handle most any format or measurment system that cavers use, especially knotted line dive survey. Jason gets a lot of credit for showing people how to use Walls for dive survey but there's no trick to it. Using it just requires reading the manual.

    The only better software out there would be survex, and that's only because you can modify it as you please when your own requirements change. (But, I will say that survex is currently behind in the feature category and you'll need an appreciation for computer science to use it)

    Walls exports to shapefile, and from there you can find all sorts of open source tools to convert to other formats.

    -Jon


  10. #20

    Default

    Awesome. Thanks.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Underwater Cave Survey Class 1-2 NOV 14
    By rchrds in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts