Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: John Reekie RIP

  1. #1
    chuuk
    Guest

    :arrowblack John Reekie RIP

    Sad to say a cave diving pioneer-John Reekie has passed away. One of my mentors in sidemount/cave diving. Rest in peace John


  2. #2
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Rest in peace.

    Do you have a bio for those of us who may not be familiar with him?


  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Thank you for reporting this. Great guy and had a unique flair for cave diving

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuuk View Post
    Sad to say a cave diving pioneer-John Reekie has passed away. One of my mentors in sidemount/cave diving. Rest in peace John
    This, I am not sure I have met him, but sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

    "Is this thing on?"

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This, I am not sure I have met him, but sorry to hear of your friend's passing.
    He used to be referred to as the Crazy Canadian by the Ginnie staff at that time who used to dive with him

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Akumal, Mexico
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Very sad to hear it. I didn't know the man, but I read about his exploits in books about Northeast wreck diving (e.g., Kevin F. McMurray's "Dark Descent: Diving and the Deadly Allure of the Empress of Ireland") and Floridian cave diving. He sounded like someone I would very much have liked to have known. I wish I had had an opportunity to see him in the water, too - I hear he was really something. It must have been incredibly difficult for him to forcibly retire from diving due to ill health.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ft White Fl
    Age
    69
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Sad to hear...I had lost contact with John....he took me on my first dive at Numero Uno when it was still called Numero Uno...lol
    RIP John...I will miss your humor...that Canadian English, heh...and you impecable dive skills.
    Lee

    Safe Diving

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    high springs
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Those of you who knew John, can remember his extra large size and having said that, he and I did a no-mount dive into Little Devils upstream around the 91 time frame. He wanted me to go first but there was no way I was going to have a guy that size behind me. He led in and I'll have to say that for a big guy he could bend and twist around those corners with the best of them. I haven't seen him since Berman's memorial service but I did exchange an email or two over the years. John really liked cave diving but I would have to think that his first love was diving the Empress of Ireland. That wreck was special, for whatever reason, and even though he had a "near miss or two" on the Empress he continued with his exploration right up until he gave up diving. Knowing John, that was not a good day!
    RIP "big guy"


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Longwood, FLorida
    Posts
    486

    Default

    I knew John years before I got into cave diving. As a crazy Canadian he and I did a few beers together. He worked for the Canadian division of the company I worked for in the '90's, and after visiting us at the US HQ -soon as he could he lit out for cave country. I sadly never got to dive with him. RIP John.

    'You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't never heard of anyone wanting to retire to the North'

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2

    Default

    What happened? I dove with John back in the late 80's. One of my favorite dives with him was at Merritt's Mill pond at "Hole in the Wall" cave system. Lost track of John.



 

Similar Threads

  1. RIP Marius Frei
    By Happy Girl in forum Memorials
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-10-2017, 12:26 AM
  2. John S Buxton RIP
    By AMW in forum Memorials
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2016, 04:58 AM
  3. RIP John "Coop" Cooper
    By rblackburn in forum Memorials
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2015, 08:13 PM
  4. RIP Saila
    By LisaN in forum Memorials
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 02:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts