Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default Dissimilar Tank Matching

    Ok I had a LARGE issue with this during Cave1, I just couldn't wrap my head around the issue.... I'm not a math whiz to begin with and it took sit down time with my instructor to get it all clear... In my free time I started working on an app in javascript to make it MUCH simpler. Was hung up for months on data collection based on a selected number of divers and finally Chris said "DUH, just do it for 2 divers" in a couple of hours I had it all roughed in. It still doesn't round like I want it to but check it out and let me know what you think. I plan on putting a pull down in for tank selection so you don't have to enter the basic info on tanks and the Team Factors is just stating the smallest amounts for the team.

    Feel free to use it, share it, copy the code... After it gets all the tweaks I plan on porting over to Android and Apple platforms and putting all the tek calculations in one application.

    It's at the bottom of the page.

    http://www.springswildernessscuba.com/calculations

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Had a problem pasting the code into the page... its fixed now.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  3. #3

    Default

    awesome! well done!

    I had to spend some time getting all that straight in my head too. I still like to spend a little extra time to do it slowly so I'm confident I don't F it up. This is a nice little code, but I suspect I'll still be doing it by hand and thick head in the water before the dive.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotus View Post
    awesome! well done!

    I had to spend some time getting all that straight in my head too. I still like to spend a little extra time to do it slowly so I'm confident I don't F it up. This is a nice little code, but I suspect I'll still be doing it by hand and thick head in the water before the dive.

    Give me time, it will be an app for your phone/tablet and who knows maybe even your dive computer in the near future.

    Tim

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    I had run one up in Excel a few years back for up to 3 divers, was rather easy but did it to save time and more for pre-trip planning than anything. With sidemount I don't bother gas matching now, it is every man for himself. I always keep enough reserve for me in my left bottle to get out, but if you need it, you get to figure out how to get out on the right bottle. It's rather rude I guess, but in sidemount if you can't get out on your own gas then you did something really bad....


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    ... I'm not a math whiz to begin with and it took sit down time with my instructor to get it all clear...
    http://www.springswildernessscuba.com/calculations
    Not a math wiz? You could have fooled me

    Of course, putting the smaller tanks on the diver with the highest SAC rate would solve the problem

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Not a math wiz? You could have fooled me

    Of course, putting the smaller tanks on the diver with the highest SAC rate would solve the problem
    Forrest,
    I'm not. But give me a formula and I can put it into a program any day. Chris wants a modified version of this application that I believe calculates 3rds based on RMV of the diver with the highest RMV... Still have to look over the info he gave me, but just a matter of adding a few more calculations.
    This one still needs to round up and down to the nearest 100 PSI and to drop the 44.4444444 down to 44.44 but I really wanted to get it posted (the app) because I've had it in my head since my initial issues with tank matching.

    Tim

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    in side mount if you can't get out on your own gas then you did something really bad....
    Or something REALLY bad happened... I think it's more about catastrophic failure with side mount and air sharing.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the excel sheet with my formulas later if you want to look at them. The only thing that should stop a sidemount diver from being able to use his gas are valve failures, no regulator failure should cause a diver to not be able to access the gas...


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    If you're bad at math just print this, laminate it, put it in your wet-notes, done. If you need to add another size tanks, feel free to copy the contents into a spreadsheet, add your new tanks, and print it out.


    Ken Sallot


 

Similar Threads

  1. Dissimilar tank volume calculation....made easy???
    By prufrock in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-03-2018, 03:43 PM
  2. WTB: 2 matching (pref. worthington) LP85 or 100s
    By Aotus in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2014, 04:57 PM
  3. Matching Pair of Faber 108 Tanks - $300
    By Kirk in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 06:40 PM
  4. Gas Planning and Dissimilar Tanks
    By loquat149 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
  5. Dissimilar Tank matching...
    By normblitch in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 07:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts