Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default Any New Exploration Left to do in NCFL?

    Its so great to hear about all the divable caves and caverns here since joining this forum. I am hearing about places like Jug and Mill Pond that I never heard of back in the early 90's. Back then I had heard about Eagles Nest, but nobody I knew had ever been there.

    This makes me wonder if there are any unexplored 'new' caves or caverns out there that are unexplored or inaccesible. We knew a family back in the early 90s that owned acreage not too far from High Springs that had a cool sink hole on his property. It was fenced off for safety, but when I showed interest, he offered to show it to me. A precarious set of ropes and alum ladders led you down the near virticle sink hole about ~30-50' to a decent sized dry cavern with a nice clean pool of crystal clear spring water off to the back of the cavern. At the time, he said he was not sure if it 'went anywhere' and for some reason, I did not push him on it. I had often thought about asking for permission to take a closer look, but thought that 'exploration' was a but beyond my limitations. For all I know, it was just a dead end spring, but who knows?

    Our wives were much better aquainted than we were, so I never really followed up.

    Is this uncommon? Anyone have an educated guess as to how many "opportunities" are still out there to be found? ..Or have all the good spots been vetted out by know?

    Before anyone asks, we have not been in contact with these folks for well over 10yrs. I am pretty sure they would still live there, but they are not on Facebook, and Stacy has sort of lost contact with them. They are on our short list of freinds to track down once we get settled back in the area.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    There are several of what you describe south of high springs, but most go no where.

    There is plenty of cave left to explore, it gets harder and harder to find but technology makes the dives easier.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    It's out there but it ain't easy.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    NO. There is nothing left to find. Move on citizen, nothing to see here. Pinky, shut up!

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    NO. There is nothing left to find. Move on citizen, nothing to see here. Pinky, shut up!
    YOU.... are a true caver... keep up the good work

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    ...it ain't easy.
    You ain't lyin'

    Quote Originally Posted by jebernot View Post
    This is a joke.

  7. #7
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    No caves to speak of.

    I think they all collapsed.

    Don't even go ask, you'll get shot.

    I've never seen that many gators and snakes in one place.

    They filled it in and built a WalMart on it.

    It didn't go anywhere.

    It was too tight.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    "pinky" ??

    Uh.. OK....

    So maybe some folks have their own secrets and just don't want to share, or talk about it?

    Sorry if I tripped on a subject that is taboo. Or maybe I am just not getting the dry humor. My sarcasm meter has been broken for years.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    "pinky" ??

    Uh.. OK....

    So maybe some folks have their own secrets and just don't want to share, or talk about it?

    Sorry if I tripped on a subject that is taboo. Or maybe I am just not getting the dry humor. My sarcasm meter has been broken for years.
    Pinky isnt a reference to you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Pinky isnt a reference to you


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless your buddy is the brain

    Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."


 

Similar Threads

  1. Hangers left at jb.
    By adam0321 in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
  2. SR you left your gear at JB
    By rchrds in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts