Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79
  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Advanced Nitrox deals with high O2 concentrations up to 100% and goes much deeper into the topics introduced in Nitrox class. Kind of like the difference between cavern and full cave.

    I thought the Nitrox class was kinda BS, but slightly useful. I liked my AN class.

    Sent via

    Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Yes, you can also incorporate AN into a full cave program, I would suggest
    conducting 4 dives specifically focusing on AN/DP components in addition to
    the full cave course (crediting 2 dives from full cave to the AN/DP
    portion). This is, of course, a minimum and if you feel additional dives
    are needed, that is your discretion.
    At the end of the day, the student and I opted to just focus on AN/DP at this time and we conducted all of the dives in what is essentially open-water (OG basin for skills development and then Hudson Grotto for the 130' dives). The student still owes me a skill before he's finished, which will be conducted in OW at some future point.

    Notice that the TDI reply includes both Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures, not AN by itself. The two classes are almost always taught together with the skills blended. The standards not only allow it, they come close to suggesting it. That is because the AN course by itself does not include the skill of switching to a deco bottle, but the DP class does. When you combine the two classes, you can blend the gas switching skills from DP into the AN dives.

    My understanding (could be wrong) for the separation of the two is to allow someone to get AN certification to use for recreational rebreather dives.

    John Adsit
    Boulder, CO
    Deep Adventure Scuba

  3. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Forsyth, GA
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAd View Post
    Notice that the TDI reply includes both Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures, not AN by itself. The two classes are almost always taught together with the skills blended. The standards not only allow it, they come close to suggesting it. That is because the AN course by itself does not include the skill of switching to a deco bottle, but the DP class does. When you combine the two classes, you can blend the gas switching skills from DP into the AN dives.

    My understanding (could be wrong) for the separation of the two is to allow someone to get AN certification to use for recreational rebreather dives.
    Yes, NAUI recently combined the two. I also normally also teach Helitrox with it as well.

    Chris Richardson

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    seneca, SC
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuck View Post
    i did an/dp as an intro diver, so before app/full.

    one dive was to be to gold line in lower orange. we ended up turning on time just out of the corkscrew. one was to 150 towards hendley's, so not far past the bedding plane.


    Not an instructor but getting there for OW.


    AN/DP before Full Cave is not a standards violation because neither is a pre-requisite for the other.


    There are actually a couple of different questions that arise from the potential scenarios presented:


    1. AN/DP in conjunction with Full Cave (TDI) ... exceeding a depth of 130 ft would be a standards violation by the instructor since that's a condition of the Full Cave standards. As has been stated above, AN/DP can be taught in conjunction with Full Cave and the standards of all courses must be met.


    2. AN/DP in overhead while Intro Cave certified ... exceeding a depth of 130 ft would be contrary to the existing certification and not the AN/DP course standards. Now where I am not entirely clear is whether an instructor taking a willing student beyond the limits of an existing certification in a course that is not specifically being related to the existing certification is a violation of instructor standards. I suspect it would be a violation of TDI professional conduct standards (it would be for SSI professional conduct standards of which I am more familiar.)


    Having said that, I am not a standards Nazi for courses I take as a student. So, if I was the student above and the instructor was heading down the above path, I would do my own risk assessment and make the call whether I felt comfortable proceeding. (Before AN/DP, I was not confident of my susceptibility to narcosis at 150 ft so I would likely have rejected that dive plan ... even today, I would likely reject it since I have been to that depth for only several dives and would want more experience prior to putting myself in a hard overhead at that depth on air.)


    My two kopeks.


  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Marlborough Ont, Canada
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Air is for tires.

    The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

  6. #66

    Default

    So does this all boil down to a most restrictive / least restrictive argument? Do the standards for teaching vary from the standards for diving?

    In the Midwest it isn't unusual for divers to work on their AN/DP or even Trimix certs prior to or simultaneous with their cavern/cave training. Roubidoux is 150' or so after the first dropoff, but I can get in that far on 6ths. Since I'm hauling in my own gas, I may make the first dive on a stage bottle...

    What parts of which certifications are the 'limiting factor' and when do they override each other? Does the Trimix cert trump the cave standard depth restriction? Does it change if you're in training as opposed to a completed cert?

    Michael

    For strange effects and extraordinary combinations we must go to life itself, which is always far more daring than any effort of the imagination. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstueven View Post
    So does this all boil down to a most restrictive / least restrictive argument? Do the standards for teaching vary from the standards for diving?

    In the Midwest it isn't unusual for divers to work on their AN/DP or even Trimix certs prior to or simultaneous with their cavern/cave training. Roubidoux is 150' or so after the first dropoff, but I can get in that far on 6ths. Since I'm hauling in my own gas, I may make the first dive on a stage bottle...

    What parts of which certifications are the 'limiting factor' and when do they override each other? Does the Trimix cert trump the cave standard depth restriction? Does it change if you're in training as opposed to a completed cert?
    As a diver I would say if you're having to reference the standards to figure it out, you're likely making the wrong decision. That goes both ways, too. If an intro diver has lots of experience in OW carrying a stage bottle and wants to use it to have MORE gas for the second dive, I don't see an issue so long as the spirit of the rule is not violated (limiting penetration to 1/6ths of full back gas), even though I'd assume a stage isn't allowed. If a full cave diver has to check to see how deep they can to on air according to another agency to justify exceeding the cave diving agency max END I'd say they're making the wrong decision.

    If I were an instructor it would be more by the book as a single accident could wreck my financial future, but as a recreational diver common sense works darn well.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I first attempted to take TDI AN/DP after PSAI Apprentice, and before PSAI Full, with two different instructors for the cave courses and AN/DP. My AN/DP instructor was not willing to teach that course to a PSAI Apprentice Cave Diver in a cave. It was my understanding the reason was because it would have violated PSAI Apprentice standards regarding stages, both for extending penetration and multiple deco gasses. Said another way, the instructor explained I would have been diving beyond both my cave training certification level (Apprentice) AND my basic diving certification level (Nitrox), and the instructor was only willing to train above one certification level at a time. I may be wrong, but that is my understanding based upon our discussions when 40 Fathoms became unavailable to us.


    Frankly, I'm not sure whether the instructor was applying a standards-based prohibition or a general mentality of-"until you're full cave certified, then the only training you should be doing in a cave is cave training." While that may not have been the instructor's meaning or intent, it makes sense to me.


  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Frankly, I'm not sure whether the instructor was applying a standards-based prohibition or a general mentality of-"until you're full cave certified, then the only training you should be doing in a cave is cave training." While that may not have been the instructor's meaning or intent, it makes sense to me.
    +1

    When I wanted to sit in on the survey clinic a while back, when I was at Intro, I was told more or less this same thing, that any added task loading is not ok in the cave until after full cave. Sounded reasonable to me. I was later given the option to attend the clinic as long as I stayed in the cavern. Something else came up and I missed out on it altogether (aaaargh!).


  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    Air is for tires.
    Not anymore what do you think happens to all that great N2 that come out of a membrain system? Capture, recompress and put it in high performance tires. They loose pressure slower and don't change as much from heat..



 

Similar Threads

  1. EPA water quality standards for FL - public forums Feb 16,17,18
    By Oceanus in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
  2. California Hydro Standards are tough
    By Ken Hill in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 10:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts