Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 79
  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern Germany
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotus View Post
    Demonstrated clearly here, there is some freedom afforded in the use of the term, note in particular the loose term "an authority"
    A dive certification is not a "permit from an authority" or a "official permission". I could start my own agency tomorrow, I call it "Bents Deep Diver Gang". I get myself a little C-Card printer and start to sell training... some agencies actually started out like this. Most of the people that started this way had more street cred than I though.
    To be an authority you have to have power over something more than a printer. The NACD is basically a private club.
    Slüdge said pretty much what is says in the quote you posted.


  2. #52
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Okay, from a cave/trimix instructor point of view, taking an Intro student into LOG (whatever agency cert and whatever mix they're diving) is nothing short of moronic. Just my opinion as always...

    Safe diving,

    Rich
    I would also add Hendleys to that statement

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Neptune Beach, FL
    Posts
    3,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Okay, from a cave/trimix instructor point of view, taking an Intro student into LOG (whatever agency cert and whatever mix they're diving) is nothing short of moronic. Just my opinion as always...

    Safe diving,

    Rich
    Rich
    I'm with you on taking an Intro diver to Lower Orange Grove, Hendlys or the Nest. Doesn't make sense.

    NAUI requires AN/Deco as pre-requisites for Cave 2 and as far as I can tell by reading the TDI Standards you can combine AN/Deco with Full Cave but all required dives from from standards have to be met.

    There are some other Certs that can be combined with AN/Deco.


    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

    "Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

    Earnest Shackleton

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Rich
    I'm with you on taking an Intro diver to Lower Orange Grove, Hendlys or the Nest. Doesn't make sense.

    NAUI requires AN/Deco as pre-requisites for Cave 2 and as far as I can tell by reading the TDI Standards you can combine AN/Deco with Full Cave but all required dives from from standards have to be met.

    There are some other Certs that can be combined with AN/Deco.


    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist
    Tony,

    I talked with TDI last week about this very issue. I have a student that is interested in progressing to full cave, and needed to complete AN/DP, and although DP is clearly stated as being allowed to be incorporated in full cave, there was no mention of AN, so I asked if they could be combined. Here is what they sent me:

    Yes, you can also incorporate AN into a full cave program, I would suggest
    conducting 4 dives specifically focusing on AN/DP components in addition to
    the full cave course (crediting 2 dives from full cave to the AN/DP
    portion). This is, of course, a minimum and if you feel additional dives
    are needed, that is your discretion.
    At the end of the day, the student and I opted to just focus on AN/DP at this time and we conducted all of the dives in what is essentially open-water (OG basin for skills development and then Hudson Grotto for the 130' dives). The student still owes me a skill before he's finished, which will be conducted in OW at some future point.

    There are options...

    Ken Sallot

  5. #55
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    So exactly what is learned in an "Advanced Nitrox" course?

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    When I took it my instructor took me on the Henleys jump but I had to stop and hold position at a certain depth. I dont recall what depth.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    So exactly what is learned in an "Advanced Nitrox" course?
    What a stupid question! You learn to breathe advanced nitrox!


  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Marianna FL
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    So exactly what is learned in an "Advanced Nitrox" course?
    Likely best answered by somebody who knows details but I think that course teaches you how to breath mixes that have 41% oxygen or higher as nitrox is only up to 40%.
    Or maybe that is the point where they finally release the top secret "T" formula so you can figure out your MOD for yourself instead of using a chart! Lol.

    Last edited by mbaker; 05-05-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added more information

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    So exactly what is learned in an "Advanced Nitrox" course?
    The stuff everyone should have learned in a regular nitrox course, but probably didn't.

    Ken Sallot

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default what do the standards say?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill


 

Similar Threads

  1. EPA water quality standards for FL - public forums Feb 16,17,18
    By Oceanus in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
  2. California Hydro Standards are tough
    By Ken Hill in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 10:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts