Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Without a doubt, Indian Springs is my favorite dive, and I think it's the best cave dive in Florida. It had been a few years since I've been in there, but this past Sunday the stars aligned and it was finally time to go for an Indian dive!

    Brian and I had been upstream a ways in 2010, but this time we wanted to see the Power Room and historic Wakulla Room at 4,500ft. Along with guide-extraordinaire Merideth Tanguay, we elected to do a double stage scooter dive to give us enough gas to get there and look around with plenty of wiggle room. At the same time, Blake Wilson, Ken Browne, and Kirill Egorov were going to setup for a photo shoot at the Bone Narcosis room.

    Conditions in the basin were "okay" with 20ft of vis down to Squaw's Restriction at ~120ft. Its impossible to move through Squaw's without thinking of WKPP founding member Parker Turner's tragic death in 1991. Past the restriction we had hazy but wall-to-wall vis through the Mud Tunnel at 150ft. After 500ft or so the cave shallows up a bit into a COLOSSAL upstream/downstream junction room where the vis became unlimited. A quick OK of the T and we hit the trigger on our Suex scooters. Mer was riding the small XJoy37, while Brian and I were on XK1 units. Mer and I were also towing Gavin scooters while Brian somehow finagled an XJoy37 to tow.

    The upstream cave is just beyond words. The first room of note is the "Bone Narcosis" room (pictured below). White walls with stunning black geothite jutting out of the walls and littering the floor. We passed Kirill and the gang while they snapped pictures. After that that the cave maintains an average depth of about 140ft with passage wide enough to easily maintain a 3-abreast formation. Huge boulders the size of dump trucks are everywhere, and it looks like the walls are made out of vanilla icecream that some giant has come along and scooped out with a massive spoon.



    We dropped our 2nd stage bottle just before "Jonah's Gate", two pitch black columns of geothite that go from floor to ceiling in stark contrast with the white cave. Past this point the cave gets smaller with some roller-coaster twists and turns before coming across another T. Following the plan, Brian dropped a cookie on the outbound side and turned left. After another minute or so of scootering at 160ft, the floor dropped away and the walls disappeared. We made it to the Power Room in a little over a half hour.

    The Power Room had slightly worse visibility, maybe 70ft, but you could still appreciate the huge size of the room. A quick loop around the room and we headed back toward the T and banked left. Once again, the cave busted open into the slightly smaller but still impressive Wakulla Room. I didn't think it was possible, but the vis actually got better and we could see down into the ongoing passage below us at 280ft. After a few barrel rolls and loopty-loops we turned the show around with a max depth of 187ft.

    We cruised out soaking in the pristine cave knowing it might be another few years before we had another chance to dive Indian. At 80mins of bottom time, we were back in the cavern at 70ft switching to 50%. Its tough to beat a dive like that!


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    There's no like button, so I can't press "Like" on AJ's post, but Indian's the top of my list too. Beautiful cave.

    Ken Sallot

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Its tough to beat a dive like that!
    Try it on a 'breather and really enjoy the cave.


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Necrosis.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    Necrosis.
    shaddup


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NYC/TCI-Provo
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    My best dive keeps changing, but they all have one thing in common, no line before I got there

    Aside from that, there are a few that stand out:
    Fangorn Forest, Dan's Cave, Abaco Island
    "Frozen Rain", Ralph's Cave Abaco Island
    Warbla Cave, Nularbor Plain, Australia (we were there on a scientific permit)

    Ditto! Well, except Australia...


  7. #17
    mfascuba
    Guest

    Default

    My best one? Had a bunch. Most significant was a few weeks ago, dived with a friend who is disabled due to inoperable cancer on his spinal cord. I accompanied him on a wreck dive. He typically dives weekly if not more frequently, but hadn't been in the water in 9 months. He had been getting weaker from his muscles atrophying, so we geared him up on the rear swim platform & he slid into the sea. The look on his face on the line going down was indescribable. When our time underwater was through & we completed our deco obligation (he couldn't resist), he doffed his gear in the water & climbed back on board, then I handed his rig up to the crew. He had been suffering numbness & tingling as a result of his illness, I couldn't resist asking him if he was ok after the dive, and made sure I asked if he had any neuro symptoms. It was a great day to be able to help a friend, that's what made it a great dive.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfascuba View Post
    My best one? Had a bunch. Most significant was a few weeks ago, dived with a friend who is disabled due to inoperable cancer on his spinal cord. I accompanied him on a wreck dive. He typically dives weekly if not more frequently, but hadn't been in the water in 9 months. He had been getting weaker from his muscles atrophying, so we geared him up on the rear swim platform & he slid into the sea. The look on his face on the line going down was indescribable. When our time underwater was through & we completed our deco obligation (he couldn't resist), he doffed his gear in the water & climbed back on board, then I handed his rig up to the crew. He had been suffering numbness & tingling as a result of his illness, I couldn't resist asking him if he was ok after the dive, and made sure I asked if he had any neuro symptoms. It was a great day to be able to help a friend, that's what made it a great dive.
    Nice report Mark, and you are a great guy for doing that!

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    187

    Default

    One late night while diving Ginnie, I surfaced after deco in the eye to find a few ladies skinny dipping in the run. They didn't seem to care that I was there.

    Quote Originally Posted by jebernot View Post
    This is a joke.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    The only thing that kept me doing this silly crap for 39 years is the hope that my best dive will be my next one. Well, that and the gold. I know its in one of these caves, I just haven't found the right one. But i will...I Will...I WILL......hahahaha.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts