Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 90

Thread: Where to next?

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Does NAUI Cave 1 allow restrictions? Since this is intro + are restrictions which are outside the level of intro be allowed?
    there is a limit of the type of restriction, I THINK Jug is ok, but we were not ready to even find out.... Sandy said restriction with an angled approach and we said, "it can wait".
    the verbage is something like minor is ok, major is not...do not remember definition of major but will know it when i see it

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Madison is my favorite. I gather the flow is pretty high now, but that cave is gorgeous. Be sure to check it out.


  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    there is a limit of the type of restriction, I THINK Jug is ok, but we were not ready to even find out.... Sandy said restriction with an angled approach and we said, "it can wait".
    the verbage is something like minor is ok, major is not...do not remember definition of major but will know it when i see it
    I don't think jug would be allowed on cave 1. It's obviously a judgment call but I believe that 99% of good naui cave 1 instructors would tell their students to wait till they're full cave.


  4. #34
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    I don't think jug would be allowed on cave 1. It's obviously a judgment call but I believe that 99% of good naui cave 1 instructors would tell their students to wait till they're full cave.
    I think even the park regards this as a full cave dive due to a 30 ft bedding plane and a semi-major restriction

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    Diving is expensive. A fact you will need to accept at some point
    Of course diving is more expensive than most hobbies. But I see people here buying used gear, and not everybody is ready to pony up for a CCR, right? So smart people figure out where to econonomize. There seems to be an attitude thats been around for years, that its just a rich man's sport, and you should not even blink at the cost of new gear or entry fees. I remember trying to decide on buying a new primary light and a new computer (early 90s). Shop operator was not helpful. His response was very similar.. "Its not a cheap sport... You should buy both".

    Just a thought, but if only rich people went cave diving, then where would the sport be today? Somehow I bet many diving pioneers had to compramise and economize to some degree.

    Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    there is a limit of the type of restriction, I THINK Jug is ok, but we were not ready to even find out.... Sandy said restriction with an angled approach and we said, "it can wait".
    the verbage is something like minor is ok, major is not...do not remember definition of major but will know it when i see it
    Its been a while, but I thought NACD defined a minor restriction as: Single file only, and a major restriction as: requiring gear removal. Now that so many people are in sidemount, it seems that this definition is pretty outdated.


  6. #36

    Default

    Well for sure don't ask because they'll probably decide it's only for Abe Davis holders who've faxed in their forms and gotten permission but for some odd reason they'll allow dpv's and require stage bottles.


    If I thought the dive wasn't safe for a cave 1 diver under the wings of an experienced diver then I would not have suggested it. I do think full cave should teach a little more about dealing with major restrictions so people are more prepared for Jug.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1987
    "But nothing gets accomplished in sidemount!"

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    Its been a while, but I thought NACD defined a minor restriction as: Single file only, and a major restriction as: requiring gear removal. Now that so many people are in sidemount, it seems that this definition is pretty outdated.
    I believe a major restriction requires either gear removal or gear/body manipulation.

    So the bedding plane may still be a minor restriction in sidemount, while the diamond sands restriction can be considered a major restriction.


  8. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    I LOVE isopods, don't know about a face but will likely never see it no imagination on my part.
    Am I completely wrong?? It's been a while but when you go in at OG you can miss it.


  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ft. White , Florida
    Posts
    894

    Default

    See you at Megadive then.

    Beano

    Oh Lord , keep us safe , ALWAYS safe , and keep ME PRUDENT , ALWAYS PRUDENT !!!

  10. #40
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    Now that so many people are in sidemount, it seems that this definition is pretty outdated.
    The definition still applies I would say. Most people use sidemount as a configuration,but still use the back mount things like long hose, short hose etc,but they have the tanks on their side versus their back. The principles of sidemounting like weighting for gear removal, negotiating restrictions, air sharing through restrictions, communication in siltouts in sidemount cave etc are things you'd learn with sidemount style of cave diving (versus a configuration)

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts