Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 90

Thread: Where to next?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu View Post
    You could spend another year in Peacock and Orange grove and not see it all. Two Jumps off Peacock to Nicholson to Cysten toward Cistine (ok I tried two spellings and neither worked) will take you through some really pretty cave. Look Left and right in the little nooks and pockets for Bacterial colonies and River water. slow down and watch the isopods swim by. Let us know when you see the face.

    I LOVE isopods, don't know about a face but will likely never see it no imagination on my part.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Interesting discussion. I am still just NACD Intro. So I this is good information.

    Does Naui 1 and NACD Intro still limit you to single tank? I was diving double '95s but spent most if my time in Little River and Telford. I had an instructor I would dive with when I went to Peacock, Ginnie, Manatee.


  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu View Post
    You could spend another year in Peacock and Orange grove and not see it all. Two Jumps off Peacock to Nicholson to Cysten toward Cistine (ok I tried two spellings and neither worked) will take you through some really pretty cave. Look Left and right in the little nooks and pockets for Bacterial colonies and River water. slow down and watch the isopods swim by. Let us know when you see the face.
    Cisteen

    I'm not sure if the map at the LCS has it spelled right but I think it's probably misspelled there. Atleast the food is good.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1987
    "But nothing gets accomplished in sidemount!"

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    Interesting discussion. I am still just NACD Intro. So I this is good information.

    Does Naui 1 and NACD Intro still limit you to single tank? I was diving double '95s but spent most if my time in Little River and Telford. I had an instructor I would dive with when I went to Peacock, Ginnie, Manatee.
    NAUI Cave 1, 100 ft max depth, 2 nav decisions, no deco, no siphons. I dive side mount LP85's
    So a lot of flexibility for dive sites. Not sure if Ginnie will let me dive double tanks because I'm not full cave though.... (based on the fact that Cave 1 doesn't qualify for cave dive rate)

    Tim

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    Would offer to go on a dive with you at Megadive but I'm very selfish and I've already got several photo dives lined up...
    NetDoc has already thrown out an invite... very excited about getting to dive with someone on first cave dive there and not having to be all freaked about finding the line and stuff (sure it's quite obvious, but hey its a new cave to me)

    Don't plan on many dives at Ginnie anyway, a very cost prohibitive dive site unless you buy a year pass and that isn't in the books for this year.

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  6. #26

    Default

    Cave 1 allows doubles at Ginnie. Just don't discuss it with their staff...most of them now aren't cave divers and get easily confused. (doesn't help that every agency has slightly different rules and similar or identical names) Key to remember: "Naui 1 is like Apprentice", which allows doubles. But I've literally never had them ask me any question other than "dry or wet? for the wrist band tightness, and I don't define my masculinity by the size and number of my tanks...so only me and my buddy need to know.

    I've done a heck of a lot of diving with someone at the C1 level and you can have a blast. In sidemount, you also have Jug later in the year (sorry, usually Megadive is the weekend it closes, this Megadive is a little late) (if it was still open it would be on my list and I'd invite you to go with me) and keyhole bypass is a really fun "little" dive. If you dive Peacock with Pete on Saturday, I'll see you out there.

    Ginnie is only 2x what the old day rate at the state parks was, and it's still 1/2 or less what a boat dive is...I'm not against diving as cheap as possible but it's a great education and a beautiful cave. It's the camping there that really adds up as it's per person and all.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1987
    "But nothing gets accomplished in sidemount!"

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    In sidemount, you also have Jug later in the year (sorry, usually Megadive is the weekend it closes, this Megadive is a little late) (if it was still open it would be on my list and I'd invite you to go with me) and keyhole bypass is a really fun "little" dive. If you dive Peacock with Pete on Saturday, I'll see you out there.
    We skipped Jug this year after talking to Sandy R, felt it might be a bit much considering we both have less than 10 cave dives and a cavern dive would have been agony
    Have been a park pass holder every year since moving to Florida so all the fee sites are outragious from my perspective, don't do boat dives (salt is nasty) so $30 something dollars is SPENSIVE from my side of the park pass

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Diving is expensive. A fact you will need to accept at some point


  9. #29
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    Cave 1.... In sidemount...., you also have Jug later in the year...and keyhole bypass .
    Does NAUI Cave 1 allow restrictions? Since this is intro + are restrictions which are outside the level of intro be allowed?

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Its not, not not not. It is only as expensive as you make it. Equipment is, insurance is, gas to the dive site is, breathing gas is but diving is cheap I just choose to spend my $$ more wisely than giving it to Ginnie springs every weekend. Have had a year pass there before and if ( more likely when) I decide that I want to dive there more I will buy another one. Will do boat dives every once in a while, but really hate salt water so not best choice of investment for me. A trip to dive silos in west texas however would be worth the $$, can not wait to do some ice diving up north.

    ok, so maybe diving is expensive, but you can still maximize your ROI

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts